Black River Depot Part II

trainwhiz20

Aug 9, 2004
Tampa, FL
Hey everyone!

With the first quarter of school out of the way, and some nice new presents arriving soon for my birthday (the end of this month), I have reason to get back to the layout and continue some progress.

I'm a little stuck right now, actually. I've got the depot building positioned, the platforms in place, and the roads layed out. I'm having an awful time figuring out what to place in the area in front of the station.

Here's what I mean:

dscf0238small1wr.jpg

This is the left side of the layout. I layed some WS Earth Blend down to see how it looks. The gravel road is layed down, as that connects the paved area to the oil facility, the loading dock, and church. (This area was "undeveloped" until recently, and Black River officials are now getting around to paving the road, but they've only made it to the station.)

The gray gravel is for the shoulder of the paved road. You can see the white car in the parking lot. As I stated before, I have a HUGE order coming from Walthers soon, including some high-detailed vehicles (no more of these hollow shells), a WS farmer's stand (which I think I might put by the station), some passengers, benches for the platform, a priest and churchgoers attending a funeral, step stools (for my beloved passenger platforms), and some Jordan baggage carts. (also for my beloved passenger platform.)

As for the platforms themselves:

dscf0239small0vk.jpg

Here they are. Simple styrene. The ballast almost looks white. Nothing has been glued yet. I have some Blair Line wood crossings coming in my package to provide linkage over the tracks. Sorry about all the spots--it's not the picture, but all the loose gravel I haven't brushed off yet. UNDER CONSTRUCTION! lol.

dscf0241small9yu.jpg

Here's a side shot of the depot building. A man observing the ATSF route map (posters and signs adorn the rest of the building), and the sign on the roof clearly indicates this is the proud town of Black River, serviced gladly by the Santa Fe.

dscf0245small1tz.jpg

This is another overview shot. You can see the edge of the parking lot, the walkway to the depot, and the platforms. You can even see, more apparent, the empty space in front of the depot.

Any ideas? I can put the farmer's market there, near the parking lot (on the gravel road), but that won't take up all the space. Do I just scenick it with ground foam?

My next step is finishing up the corner, getting the ballasted glued down and placing some more scenery. Trees are being made as we speak.

What do you guys think?

If you want to see the station more in detail, and it's wonderful :)rolleyes:) interior, there's a thread around here somewhere that got lost because of no responses. Heh.

Thanks guys. I know I can always count on you gaugers. I hope the pics are enough.

:thumb:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I'm not sure how far or where that track goes beyond the depot. I would consider a small freight house, or loading dock for a cross dock team track where your parking lot is and put the parking lot on the back side of the depot.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
A few suggestions:

1) A short access road for trucks to get to the freight/express end of the station.

2) Some small out-buildings, like a storage shed, MOW shed, etc.

3) Depending on the era (can't really make out the cars...) the station may have had a well-kept garden, maintained by the agent and his family. These were most common in the early part of the 1900s, but may have lasted at least a generation longer...

Here's your thread with the interior shots: ATSF Balck River

Andrew

screen

Aug 18, 2005
Sterling, Illinois
Hi! Looking good - Maybe remove the parking lot and have the road pass in front of the depot with par. parking as was seen in the 50's - then across the street and in the area you removed the parking lot build a (I am new to the gauge and don't know how the rest of you layout is?) Feed store with your farmers market next to it and some other buildings of businesses like a cafe, bank, dress shop, used car dealer, or hardware store or even a hardware manufacture - with the area across the street plus where the parking lot was you have a lot of room for a related business district -

Keep up the good work - it's taking shape!

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Like screen says, I'd pave over the area in front of the station, have a couple cabs sitting out front and some parking there, where the parking is now maybe a diner, and some more parking.

Gary

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
It parking looks a bit haphazard. I like the idea of a small town on your layout, something for the depot to have a purpose, maybe a diner like screen said, and perhaps a well tended garden with big shade trees to even out the flat board/ tall buildiung look. doing great there T.W.!!