Black and White Models

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Fishcarver, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Here is a suggestion for card model publishers that may tend to keep costs down right across the board:

Why not publish models in black and white, with a colour key on just one page of the booklet? It will certainly reduce the costs of printing, therefore overall costs and possibly attracting others to the hobby.

2. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Heh - personally I'm still searching for ways to make edge coloring as quick / painless as possible. I'd be more likely to buy a kit where colored pieces were printed on colored paper so as to eliminate as much of the edge coloring as possible. But that's just me ;)
  3. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

I don't think that the printing of a model is so expensive. In my opinion the designing of the model cost a lot. Today's models have much more details as the old one and the graphics are more realistic , this mean a lot of work for the designer.
  4. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

i have a few models that are made that way, they just reccomend which color stock to print them onto
  5. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Costly in time maybe but once you have the resources, i.e a half decent paint program then it doesn't have to cost anything to design a model. That's speaking from my own experience that is.

However, when building a high detail model with textures as opposed to simple line markings, then it can become very costly to print the model. It costs me £45(GB) to replace ink cartridges, that's around $90(US)!! Coloured card is the way to go where possible but it isn't always posible.

Just depends on the model I guess.
  6. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

i was just talking about this with Ron just a lil while ago!
    i print nearly all my models on my old printer - a lexmark.
    it uses the black cartidge & rgb cartridge combo

I use IncTec refill kits to refill my cartidges and each refil kit i use will last about as long as 20 cartridges would (since not all colors need to be refilled completely each time)

you can buy them online also so you never have to "make a trip out for ink" either!

I just couldnt see printing all the stuff I do if I had to buy a new cartridge EVERY time one ran dry!!!!!! I really would just love to see the balance sheet from one of those company's on just how much they really make on ink per year....sign1
  7. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

Or even better: They should offer a black&white digital version. It has many advantages:
    1. We can choose the camo
    2.No printing costs
    3.No handling costs
    4.No shipping costs
    5.He is recieved faster by e-mail