Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by JT Fox, Oct 15, 2008.

1. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Test build is proving a little more work than I first thought. It's not that complex but the 1/600 scale is making things a bit small by my normal standards.

I've gone back to the 3D model and added a few deck former to add some strength but other than that she's going together very well.

Cheers JTF

2. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

That is outstanding, and I'm normally not into ships.

Quick question, how do you apply the outlines, panel lines, portholes, and other graphic details (2d) in Meta?
  3. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Hi SAustin16

Thanks for your comment.

The textures are created in Photoshop and saved as BMP files. I then create a material in Meta, which reads the BMP files. I then attach the material to the surface of the 3D model. A little bit of scaling moving of the material and your BMP should be visible on the 3D model.

The model is then loaded into Pepakura, which takes the material information as well so it all prints out complete.

I’m still not sure on the final look of the model. For a ship with such a short history it had several repaints.

I’ve narrowed it down to three.

• Baltic Camouflage: This has the black and white stripes on the hull and super structure and a red band with a swastika on it at the front and rear of the main deck. The sides of the hull had a ships wake paint forward and aft.
    • Baltic Camouflage (reduced): As option 2 but the red bands and swastika’s greyed out and the super structure strips are also painted out.
    • Operation Rheinübung: As option 3 but with the hull strips and ships wakes painted out.

Cheers JTF
  4. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Thanks for the explanation JT. I just started to understand how to create basic materials and how to apply them in Meta. I'll start working on your method. Sounds great.

Like I said, you're doing a wonderful job on the model.
  5. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

The next section, smoke stack and forward hangers, has not unfolded well. So it was back to Meta for some small adjustments.

Well, the small adjustments turned into a re-model of the whole area. I've had to compromise on the shape of some parts but they do unfold much easier.

Cheers JTF

6. stickyFingers

stickyFingers New Member

well this has motivated me into getting one of those 3d programs to start designing. Probably won't be an easy task but there is plenty of motivation on this site.

Great job
  7. YGMeci0411

YGMeci0411 Titanart5852

Awesome Endeavor!

This is going to be one incredible model when it is finished! Do you plan on the Tirpitz as well?

Anyone know where to download a detailed, free paper version of the U.S.S. Arizona?

I plan on visiting her in Oahu on a cruise my wife and I are taking next month! I can't wait!!! :mrgreen::thumb: