Birthday Thoughts

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
My birthday's coming up in September, and I get to choose what my wife will spend $300CDN ($181US) on; the remainder is her call. I was originally going to use her money towards Digitrax Empire Builder, but I don't think there's any need to go the DCC route just yet. I am building the layout in preparation for such an event, but really, with a 7 x 12 layout, there's no need.

So now I'm pondering what I should tell her to get me. I don't really need any more locos, or rolling stock, so maybe structures ??? I already have a few picked out I want, but that won't use up the $300.

Any thoughts??? Is there something you really want that maybe I could steal the idea for ???

Mar 25, 2002
Irún, Guipúzcoa - SPAIN
Visit site
Hello, Michael

If I were you and would not need neither more locos nor rolling stock, I would be happy with some nice Morning Sun books. I really love the awesome RR photos in these books, but they are somewhat expensive.

Anoher possibility would be an good DCC manual and some basic system (not the expensive 'Empire Builder') and one or two decoders, for taste the system :p

Well, I don't know if in Canada you have a similar proverb, but in Spain we say "If you got a free horse, don't look it the teeth" :rolleyes:

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Mike, Although not an answer to your "what to get" question, when the time comes for that DCC you may want to check the Zepher system due out this fall. Under $200 and has readback capabilities which I feel will make it a better value than EB. Also allows you to use standard power packs as additional throttles! My understanding (somewhat incomplete at the moment) is that you would use the Digitrax throttle to select a loco to be run by the dc pack. The dc pack is attached to the Zepher and its throttle and direction info is read and forwarded to the track as dcc packets. Digitrax has a trend for being late to deliver, so late summer could easily become dead of winter. If you're not in a hurry you may want to wait. Sounds like the gift amount will be sufficient tho. As most of you know, I typically advise purchase of chief, because EB doesn't allow readback of decoder cv values. If this unit lives up to its hype, it will be a better unit for less money and I will be able to recommend it.

BTW, The Morning Sun books are really nice.

Gary

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
Mike, if the hobby shop that you deal with is a large one that has all what you would ever want how about some gift certificates, that way you can get what you require when you require it. Sh can also get you a book or something like that with the cert's.
Just a thought.. Ron

Gary: I also will have to wait to see what the Zepher system is like before I concider buying one also. Thanks for the info. Ron..