Birdmobile Merlin (Pidgeon Hawk)

Willja67

Feb 12, 2005
Grantsville,Utah
I got this model three years ago and I have received one pm asking where to get it so I'm guessing there might be more interest so I'll write a short review and point you in the right direction.

This Link takes you to the pdf catalog pg 62 of the Paper Models international Website (there is a link on our homepage to PMI as well). I have ordered 3 models from PMI and in all cases found their service to be excellent.

I loved this model, it was very easy to construct with very good fit and excellent coloring and the finished result is very pleasing.

falcon.jpg

falcon2.jpg

falcon3.jpg

Be aware that there are some slightly tricky cuts that have to be done(it's hard to find some of the cut lines with all the feathers acting as pretty effective camoflage). The instructions are pretty good but I seem to remember wishing they were just a little better but as I managed to build it with no major mistakes they must have been adequate.

One mistake I made was gluing the feathers against the body. The model was designed so that some of the feathers stick out from the body and I thought that the bird would look better with a sleaker look so I glued the feathers down and that changed the look of the model slightly. I would suggest leaving them like the instructions say and if you would prefer the other way you can always go back and glue them dow.

Liamladdie

Jul 5, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
another bird by Birdmobile

When I get some pix taken, I'll post their osprey (five-foot wing span) which
is most impressive. The wings and a trout in talon remove for storage. I find that painting the eyeball with Future or other full-gloss clear coat enhances
the look. All the birds in that line are excellent. Coloring the raw paper edges
with Prismacolor pencils takes the most time...

GT5500

Apr 23, 2006
Kent, England
Liamladdie said:
When I get some pix taken, I'll post their osprey (five-foot wing span) which
is most impressive. The wings and a trout in talon remove for storage. I find that painting the eyeball with Future or other full-gloss clear coat enhances
the look. All the birds in that line are excellent. Coloring the raw paper edges
with Prismacolor pencils takes the most time...
I have always loved that model, here in the UK lost of natural history museums sell these bird mobiles and as a kid i always wanted the Osprey, strangely my parents didn't want to pay the £35 price tag and rightly thought I was a bit young for it. Not to mention that its bigger then my living room any way!!!

Willja67

Feb 12, 2005
Grantsville,Utah
Are there other bird models than those offered by Birdmobile? I do know there are some in the PMI catalog but I would be interested in a Peregrine Falcon or any other bird of prey. I seriously considered getting the Osprey but it's a little too pricey right now and storage is a problem.

Willja67

Feb 12, 2005
Grantsville,Utah
I just did my teeny way too late bit to help Ralph and bought a European Owl and a P-40.

Since I'm so close to done with the Corsair I've been contemplating my next project and think maybe a bird would be a good idea. I want a challenge and I don't know the name of this particular bird (I think it's some kind of European hawk) but I think it would be fun to do. Or maybe a redtail as there are lots of them out here where I live.

GT5500

Apr 23, 2006
Kent, England
I think you should do a Red Kite, just because they are beautiful and it could also be to celebrate the fact that they were nearly extinct in England but now the two breeding centres over here have got 100's of them back into our countryside. That european owl model is great looking as well, Leon is a very talented designer, his sparrows and starling look real.

Liamladdie

Jul 5, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
other birds

Lou Dausse at PMI has the Wilhelmshaven Dodo in 1:4 scale (9" tall), not in flight pose, of course. Malcom Topp, designer of the Birdmobiles, released the
first four smaller birds in 1973! Thirty-three years ago!

LS's Kingfisher and Barn Owl are quite convincing. I know of no other
raptors than Birdmobile's Osprey and Merlin; one might consider their Little
Owl as a near-raptor; at least a beak and sharp talons.

If animals interest you, the JFS(?) Blue Whale is cool. The Japanese produce an incredible number of paper models, but I don't have decent contact with their offerings in the bird world. I'd imagine there's a crane or two available...

Willja67

Feb 12, 2005
Grantsville,Utah
Liamladdie said:
Lou Dausse at PMI has the Wilhelmshaven Dodo in 1:4 scale (9" tall), not in flight pose, of course. Malcom Topp, designer of the Birdmobiles, released the
first four smaller birds in 1973! Thirty-three years ago!

LS's Kingfisher and Barn Owl are quite convincing. I know of no other
raptors than Birdmobile's Osprey and Merlin; one might consider their Little
Owl as a near-raptor; at least a beak and sharp talons.

If animals interest you, the JFS(?) Blue Whale is cool. The Japanese produce an incredible number of paper models, but I don't have decent contact with their offerings in the bird world. I'd imagine there's a crane or two available...

Thanks for the info. if you stick around long enough you will probably notice I have a passion for flying things. I am particularly interested in raptors in flying poses. I have however considered doing a magpie. I've always thought they were cool looking birds.