Bill Boards

GNRail

I wanted to try scratching a couple of bill boards. Not quite sure where I'll use them but ran into a bit of a snag and thought I might check with the gang here.

My problem

Dimensions??

Are there any standard sizes? typical sizes for city streets, highways, along the rails?
Ratios of length to height etc?
How high off the ground?
How many supports for a given size?
Walkways? Size of walkway?
Lighting?

I tried searching the web but couldn't find anything very useful.

I model in N scale but dimensions in any scale (please give scale) including full size would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Garry

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Welcome to the Gauge
I was looking at a real billboard GNRail. It looke to be about 6ft up from the ground and was about 20ft wide and 12ft high.
This is one on my N gauge layout. I got it from a print in MR.
It is 1 1/2inches wide and 3/4 of an inch high

Attachments

• bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 214

rockislandmike

There ARE standard sizes.

http://www.outdoorbillboard.com/home/industry_basics.html

14' x 48'
10'6" x 36'

I bought an Athearn Coca-Cola billboard myself, affixed a thin magnet to it, and then printed a number of different billboards on magnet sheets, so I can change them at will. Turned out pretty kewl I think. Hang on I'll see if I can't find a pic.

2003febb.jpg

This one is a Blues Brothers movie poster, which came out at the exact time of my layout. Definitely helps set the era.

GNRail

Thanks for the information. I really like the subject matter of the real thing.:cool:

Originally posted by rockislandmike
[I bought an Athearn Coca-Cola billboard myself, affixed a thin magnet to it, and then printed a number of different billboards on magnet sheets, so I can change them at will.

More questions. How do you print on magnetic sheets? Where do you find them? I like the idea of being able to change the sign, since I think a couple of these may end up on one of my N-Trak modules. It should keep them coming back for more!

Garry

rockislandmike

Most bigbox office/stationery stores should have them. I can't remember the brand name, but they're usually with the CD labels and other weird stuff that you can print on. Each package contains 15 or so "sheets" - one side you can print on (bright white), and the other side is magnetic. Simply print on the one side, cut them out, and they'll work just like a magnet.

If I think about it, I'll check the brand name. Otherwise, your best bet might be to go to one of the above stores (Staples, Office Depot, etc.) and ask them about it. They should be able to point it out toot-sweet.

shaygetz

It makes for a small rooftop billboard in HO and a nice size N scale roadside one. Cut a piece of styrene slightly larger than a standard business card and frame it with 1/8" Plastistruct channel on the bottom and both sides. Mount it in whatever manner you area commonly mounts them i.e. pilings, steel I beams. etc.. Now you have a changable billboard that you can place friends and business associates cards in, as well as print up your own on the 'puter.

MagicMan_841

LOL this Jack Daniel's billboard is so funny! I'm scratchbuilding it right now. I made the sign in MS Paint and printed it on plain paper. then I cut a styrene piece to glue the paper on and painted the back black. Can I spray dullcote over the paper of is it going to make a big mess????

ezdays

Out AZ way
Originally posted by MagicMan_841
LOL this Jack Daniel's billboard is so funny! I'm scratchbuilding it right now. I made the sign in MS Paint and printed it on plain paper. then I cut a styrene piece to glue the paper on and painted the back black. Can I spray dullcote over the paper of is it going to make a big mess????
Krylon makes a "Fixative" that is made to spray paper and keep the ink from running. I use it all the time and you can't tell it's there. You can overcoat that with anything you want. Most arts and crafts stores carry it.

Don