Bill and Tom's EXCELLENT ADVENTURE in Logging and Mining

Doctor G

Dr. Tom,

Do you still happen to have that Climax from your railroad? The management on the Whiskey River Railway may be interested in that lokie for the future quarry...

Tyler

Hi Tyler,

I like the herald for your railroad....looks good.

I actually have two of the HO Climaxes sitting in their boxes and not getting used. Here are some pictures.

We can discuss a "used locomotive" sale if you would like. The funds would be useful for purchasing more track for the LRRR garden RR.

We can discuss more on my PM which is tomgmd@gmail.com.

I will be out of town for the next 5 days visiting my mom.

Doc Tom:wave:

Attachments

• Climax 1.jpg
    Climax 1.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Climax 2.jpg
    Climax 2.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 19

Bill Nelson

progress

I spiked some rail on the last switch in the mill complex, next week , God willing, I can start soldering it up and hooking up wires L brought the camera here are photos the last switch and the piers I painted for the narrow gauge bridge last week.

bill Nelson

Attachments

• sml A  lst swtch.jpg
    sml A lst swtch.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 13
  • sml a h0n3 br 2.jpg
    sml a h0n3 br 2.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 8
  • sml a h0n3 bridge 1.jpg
    sml a h0n3 bridge 1.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 16

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Dr. Tom,
Thanks a lot for the Heisler, it should look pretty good outfitted with WRRy on it. It's too bad the Climaxi didn't work out. Even though the Heisler doesn't have the detail or fragile-seeming size the Heisler makes up for it in pulling power and reliability. I'd rather have a loco that was out of proportion but worked well any day. Like I said, I'm going to be replacing the headlights to make it a little more modern and since I'm at it I'll probably remove some of the cast on details and replace them with brass ones. For now though I'll run it as is, as the AHM Casey Jones' are first in line followed by the 0-4-2T Lil Monster, a IHC 2-6-0 and the Super American. Lots of work to do before deployment...

Tyler

Doctor G

Dr. Tom,
Thanks a lot for the Heisler, it should look pretty good outfitted with WRRy on it. It's too bad the Climaxi didn't work out. Even though the Heisler doesn't have the detail or fragile-seeming size the Heisler makes up for it in pulling power and reliability. I'd rather have a loco that was out of proportion but worked well any day. Like I said, I'm going to be replacing the headlights to make it a little more modern and since I'm at it I'll probably remove some of the cast on details and replace them with brass ones. For now though I'll run it as is, as the AHM Casey Jones' are first in line followed by the 0-4-2T Lil Monster, a IHC 2-6-0 and the Super American. Lots of work to do before deployment...

Tyler

Glad you like the Heisler Tyler. Please give it a good working over. It was one of my original HO lokies and it will be good to see it get a complete "makeover." Bill has got all the replacement parts you might need from a few other Heislers scrapped over the years.

I am thinking about converting one of my "new" Heislers to On30 using a kit that can be used for this makeover. The kit is from Keith Wiseman and here is a picture.

Doc Tom:wave:

Attachments

• Heisler.jpg
    Heisler.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 11

Doctor G

I spiked some rail on the last switch in the mill complex, next week , God willing, I can start soldering it up and hooking up wires L brought the camera here are photos the last switch and the piers I painted for the narrow gauge bridge last week.

bill Nelson

Bill,

Great shot of the narrow guage bridge. Very colorful consist too. It picks up the greens of the scenery quite nicely. Love the carved foam!!! Keep up the good work.

Doc Tom:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Bill Nelson

I got there at about six, worked steadily till about 8:15. Nobody else showed but I made good progress.

On the 4th switch in the sawmill complex area I got all the rail rail joints soldered up and filed out the flangeways in the frog. I also got the points soldered up, and am satisfied with them, they move smoothly. all that is left there is to add some jumper wires, and hook up the under the tie manual throw.

also in the saw mill area I began working on the roadbed and subroadbed for the hidden storage tracks. so that perhaps by the time the switches are all wired up and functional, they will all lead some where.

As a side show I worked over on the mainline on the end of the first peninsula, using several types of foam to build a form for the stone arch bridge that will carry the mainline over Gravestone Creek. I made much more progress there than I thought I would, and next monday, God willing, I should be able to pour the hydrocal next time I get there.

Bill Nelson

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
I got there at about six, worked steadily till about 8:15. Nobody else showed but I made good progress.

Of course you made progress, I wasn't there to BS with you!:razz:

Well my eye surgery went well. It was pretty freaky watching it happen to you as they make an incision on your eyeball and then the laser shoots your eye... I'm not gonna lie, I did get scared. But the last two days I was in lots of pain and even though they gave me percocet it really didn't seem to help out. Today I've been feeling pretty good and I can see relatively well, so hopefully I should be there next Monday to pester you guys.

Tyler

Doctor G

Of course you made progress, I wasn't there to BS with you!:razz:

Well my eye surgery went well. It was pretty freaky watching it happen to you as they make an incision on your eyeball and then the laser shoots your eye... I'm not gonna lie, I did get scared. But the last two days I was in lots of pain and even though they gave me percocet it really didn't seem to help out. Today I've been feeling pretty good and I can see relatively well, so hopefully I should be there next Monday to pester you guys.

Tyler

Hi Tyler,

Glad you made it through the ordeal. My niece's husband had the PRK procedure over at the base a few years ago and had considerable pain for few days. He now sees great. The cornea is re-epithelializing during those two days and then the pain goes away.

I hope you will be building many a model with your new "Eagle eyes" soon.

I'm going to try and make choo choo club this monday also.

Doc Tom:wave::wave:

Attachments

• ksmn1889l.jpg
    ksmn1889l.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 90

Bill Nelson

Excellent!!

On Monday I am going to attempt to pour the hydrocal for the mainlines bridge over Gravestone creek. Hopefully i can remember to bring my camera to document the forms comming off.

Nelson

Bill Nelson

I poured the plaster, and broke down the form on monday. we also ran the DG CC & W track cleaning train some. it worked although one of my riverossi heislers kicked the dcc circuit breaker when it was in the curve closest to the DCC electronics.

The our went well, some leaked under the arches and had to be chiseled out, and the arches deflected some from the wieght of the plaster. so the arches will need to be carved on a little to become symmetrical, once I have it shaped correctly I can start thinking about carving the stones into it.

Bill Nelson

Attachments

• SML A GRVSN CK BR #1.jpg
    SML A GRVSN CK BR #1.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 12
  • SML A GRVSN CK BR #2.jpg
    SML A GRVSN CK BR #2.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 10

Doctor G

Looking good there Bill. You got a lot done in 1 hour.....a very productive citizen you are.
Doc Tom:thumb:

Bill Nelson

I cheat!

Since I have to leave close to eight in order to get a much needed nap in before going to work at midnight, I cheat and get to the club @ 6:00, and sometimes even 5:30. That's how I get so much done.

Recently stuff I do at the club or for your railroad has been essential for keeping me inspired to work on my own stuff.

Bill Nelson

Doctor G

Since I have to leave close to eight in order to get a much needed nap in before going to work at midnight, I cheat and get to the club @ 6:00, and sometimes even 5:30. That's how I get so much done.

Recently stuff I do at the club or for your railroad has been essential for keeping me inspired to work on my own stuff.

Bill Nelson

Yes, it is interesting how one model railroader can inspire another. Keep up the good work and keep those piccies coming.
Tom:thumb:

Thank you for this extensive thread and the contents, which, to a new member, was very interesting to read, especially the kitmingling 'series'.
Regards
Buck

Bill Nelson

Crash buck,

Thanks,

This forum is very well set up for sharing pictures and information, the biggest thing it lacks is participants, so Welcome to Zealot, look learn, and share. Join Tom and I in the adventure, and be sure to check around, we have other threads around here. please look around, learn , share, teach, and share your projects. That is what this sitr is for, and we await your questions and contributions,

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

Progress @ the club!

I dragged my carcass to the club last night in spite of some asthma that was making me wheeze and couch up a storm.

I got the Patterson side of the lower lift out section rebuilt with a cut up Atlas re-railer, which will make the track joint perform better, and be much more robust and dammage resistant during removal and storage. I also soldered up a plug for the wire connection, so we are no longer dependent on rail joiners to provide power to the lower lift out.

After that was in I ran track cleaning trans up and down the main and the passing siding @ Patterson, and all the way over to the deep end of the next aisle. I got the tracks on the lift out clean and next week I can bring some tools for manual cleaning rail, and start to push clean track down the mainline over in Eric's sphere of influence. Some scenery work has been done there , and even the marvelous DG CC & W RR track cleaning train does no good when the heislers wont run.

I ran my AHM 4-4-0 and 2-4-0, which was disappointing they run much better on DC, and they cut out near the DCC main station, just like the heislers from the track cleaning train.

I did run #21 the oldest of my little River 2-4-4-2's, and it ran well, although the DCC doesn't feed full power to the DC locomotives so they will not be able to reach full speed or power.

I was planning on dropping some feeders of the tracks in sht sawmill compound, but I had not brought my butane soldering torch, so I put that off till next time.

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

In the weeks since I have posted, I hooked up the sawmill area to DC and ran some trains. I did have a short when one switch was thrown in one direction, but I quickly found where a had the wrong wires connected to each other; and the saw mill area ran well on DC.

Once I knew it was working on DC, I disconnected the DC, and hooked it up to the main buss for the DCC. after that is is working as expected, so the sawmill area in on lone.

Since then I have been cutting material to fill in the holes between the cookie cutter road bed in preparation for some basic scenery in front of the rear track. Behind the rear track, we are not doing anything yet, cause if we rebuild the upper deck as planned to provide a better approach to the Montegle/ Altimont area, We will be able to make the sawmill scene deeper.

The first picture shows the main line , the company store, and the track into the sawmill complex. the track with the log cars on it leads to the company store and some warehouses. the track parallel to it at the back of the scene leads to the lumber loading area.

the second photo shows the bridge where the mainline crosses the log pond. Note the other bridge over the log pond, temporally propped up with scrap lumber. that bridge leads to a crossing across the main line and then to Patterson #1, the smallest of the H. E. Patterson Goal and Lumber company's 3 mines. the track over by the level will lead to a hidden storrage area where empty log cars can be stored, or full log trains can be moved to get them out of the way of trains switching the mine.

The third photo shows Patterson #1, an AHM old time coal mine, and J. E. Patterson Coal & Lumber Co. # 43 a Proto 2000 USRA 0-6-0 with DCC and sound. It ate my train budget for an entire year, but is was well worth it, as it looks and sounds great, and is the best behaved locomotive on the club layout.

I still have some rough spots to iron out on the handlaid switches,

I was taught to build the switch without guard rails, and to run it for a while without guard rails, tweaking it to be as reliable as possible, before adding guard rails, as guard rails can mask some problems with switch geometry. In any case the handlaid track is close to done here, so I am thinking about what to do next. Perhaps a passenger station near the big yard.

Bill Nelson

Attachments

• SML oprble trks @ Pttrsn #1.jpg
    SML oprble trks @ Pttrsn #1.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 20
  • SML oprble trks @ Pttrsn #2.jpg
    SML oprble trks @ Pttrsn #2.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 21
  • SML oprble trks @ Pttrsn #3.jpg
    SML oprble trks @ Pttrsn #3.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 23

Bill Nelson

Y6b

Broadway limited is sending the parts I need to get my y6b into service. Their service department has been very helpful once I figured out what was going on. Had I sent it back to them when I first thought it had issues, It would have been back long ago. Once it is in good working order I will have a monster locomotive to run the track cleaning train, and it sounds so good when it is just starting up, and those big low pressure cylinders and the smaller higher pressure cylinders bark like my great Dane and St. Bernard.

Bill Nelson

Parts are here.

The folks at Broadway limited sent me my parts, I was very pleased that they were willing to do that, as it would have taken longer for me to send the locomotive to them, and ai wouldn't have got the chance to take it apart.

I was impressed with the engineering of this locomotive, everything seemed well designed and built, and Unlike other recent expensive models I have worked on it was relatively easy to work on , in spite of the complexity of the locomotive.

In the dark ages the motors on articulated models were in the rear, they were hooked up to the rear motor conventionally, and a reive shaft ran that power up to the front motor.

This modern design puts the motor in the middle like on a diesel. two separate gear towers transfer the power down to the seperate motors, and both frame sections are hinged, which isn't prototypical, but this hoss is supposed to tolerate an 18 inch radius.

It is my bed time, I'll tell you how it works later. If it works very well I may post a you tube video of it going into Harlow, which would be silly.

Bill Nelson

Attachments

• SML Brdwy Y-6b mech.jpg
    SML Brdwy Y-6b mech.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 22

Doctor G

Hi Bill,

That is a nice design with the electric motor in the center between the gear towers. Did you have any luck getting the beast to run again ?? ANy You Tube video in the near future??
doc Tom:rolleyes: