bigger models?

circletrack37

Just another old kid. lol
Hi Everybody, well, I got started on my first ever paper model (Nascar '88 Buick Regal). I'm finding that my eyesight is worse than I thought! lol Are there any star wars models that are a little bigger for people with bad eyes? Any help is GREATLY appreciated! I'm amazed at what y'all are able to accomplish here. I'm sure I'll learn techniques for the smaller pieces, but until then, I'm asking what all of you would recommend for a first time builder. Thanks, and God Bless. Jim

P.S. This model is a little bigger than a 1/24 die cast.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Here are a few sites that have Star Wars models that might suit your needs:

http://starwars.pl/stuff_tf_modele_slawek.php

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~sf-papercraft/index.html

http://jleslie48.com/gallery_models_scifi.html

http://www.ghostofman.com/

http://paper-replika.com/

These should keep you busy for a day or two ;-)

As for helping to find a solution to the bad eyesight problem and being able to work on projects, I would strongly recommend getting a magnifying visor. You can find them at any major hobby shop. I have one myself and I use it all the time when I am working on my projects.

Good luck with your search. I look forward to seeing your work.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Don't forget having massive amounts of light. It really helps out a lot more than you realize.. I have a 6" magnifying lens with a circular florescent lamp and incandescent light mounted. A real life saver. It looks just like this:

MagnifyingLamp.jpg

It works great! :)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Don't forget having massive amounts of light. It really helps out a lot more than you realize.. I have a 6" magnifying lens with a circular florescent lamp and incandescent light mounted. A real life saver. It looks just like this:

MagnifyingLamp.jpg

It works great! :)

I second that. LIGHT is the most important. I have the same magnifier as Zathros.
I wouldnt be able to build anything without it!!! :eek:ops:

Bhelliom

Hello Circletrack37, welcome to our collective madness!

I did a quick Google after I read your post above, but had no luck. Where did you find an '88 Regal model? I'd love to have one myself. My first car was a '73 Regal, another I'd like to model sometime.

Scott K.

Rogerio Silva

Circletrack37

After all that being said, the only thing I can write is: talk to Dnalor. He's THE MAN when it comes to building big star wars models. Take a look at this work amd then tell me if you agree.
All the best,

Rogério

paper hollywood

One of the chief advantages of paper modeling, I think, is that with a bit of effort you can adjust the size of a model if you wish. This includes enlarging them. There are various ways to do this but the easiest is to simply scale it up in your PDF viewer. In enlarging you usually have to print a page worth of parts on more than one page. You can zoom/position the PDF image to the parts you want to print, then do a print of that one page using the print as shown feature. You repeat that to print all the parts, making sure to you stay at the same zoom percentage level. I've also opened model files in a vector editor like CorelDraw, enlarged the parts, selected individual parts and rearranged the page layouts for printing. This doesn't work with all PDFs, though, and it takes some software savvy. You can also convert a file to a bitmap, then adjust the scale that way, though you loose some detail. With many models the difference is minimal, though.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
One of the chief advantages of paper modeling, I think, is that with a bit of effort you can adjust the size of a model if you wish. This includes enlarging them. There are various ways to do this but the easiest is to simply scale it up in your PDF viewer. In enlarging you usually have to print a page worth of parts on more than one page. You can zoom/position the PDF image to the parts you want to print, then do a print of that one page using the print as shown feature. You repeat that to print all the parts, making sure to you stay at the same zoom percentage level. I've also opened model files in a vector editor like CorelDraw, enlarged the parts, selected individual parts and rearranged the page layouts for printing. This doesn't work with all PDFs, though, and it takes some software savvy. You can also convert a file to a bitmap, then adjust the scale that way, though you loose some detail. With many models the difference is minimal, though.

Hey Paper Hollywood!! Nice to see your about. I love your website. So much info, and easy to reach, all in one spot, it's great! :thumb: :)

P.S.: Funny thing is if you Google "Bigger Models", you get pictures of all these voluptuous, well fed woman, real women, like they used to be!?!:p:twisted:

jjsher

I have not built a lot a paper models yet, but all of them I have done so far have been printed on 11 x 17 cardstock (although it isn't as thick as the 60# 8.5 by 11 that I can get.) This makes the ones I have built approximately 130 percent the size of the original (30 percent larger). You just need a printer that can handle that size of paper. All large format printers designed for scrapbooking can do it. (The one my wife has for scrapbooking is what I use.)