Big Steel

spitfire

This is for anyone who's planning to model big steel. It was prompted by a fellow-Gauger, Ralph, who wrote to me saying he plans to scratchbuild a steel mill using the pic I have on my site.

I got to thinking that the one shot of Stelco (in Hamilton Ontario) was not going to be enough, so I did a little digging and came up with more, including a scale site plan for the Cambria Iron Company showing all structures, track, etc., and a photographer's site with some amazing shots of a couple of steel mills (now abandoned) including interiors.

Here's the URL, and just click on "Industrial" and then "Steel Mills" to get the info:
http://members.rogers.com/urbanscene/

Thanks to Ralph for getting me going on this! I betcha Walthers is going to sell a lot of blast furnaces!:D :D :D :D :D :D

Cheers!
Val

PS This shot of Bethlehem Steel is (c) Shaun O'Boyle. He has lots more like this at: http://oboylephoto.com/ruins/

Attachments

• sunset2.jpg
    sunset2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 230

Drew1125

What a great collection of photos!
I guess a lot of people consider urban, & industrial decay such as this to be an eyesore...
While it may generate a lot of different emotions in people, it has an undenyable monumental quality to it...a certain beauty.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Val,
Thanks for the pic and the O'Boyle link! That Walthers kit is great but I tend to do things on the cheap. I've got some shampoo bottles that I think will fit the bill nicely. :)
Ralph

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Thanks for the excellent links to industries like steel mills Val
I wish I had seen some of these before I rebuilt my N gauge scratchbuilt unit made out of the sort of things you are thinking Ralph.
In case you didn't see the earlier post of my steel mill, here is the link.
MAT CISCO steel mill

Originally posted by Charlie
What a great collection of photos!
I guess a lot of people consider urban, & industrial decay such as this to be an eyesore...
While it may generate a lot of different emotions in people, it has an undenyable monumental quality to it...a certain beauty.

Yes, I think so too, to me they are as awe inspiring as the greatest cathedral's.

Sorta related, I was looking at photo's of HellsGate bridge built around the turn of the century, I think, and was struck by the beauty of it. but did not realize how massive it is untill I saw a pic of one of the piers with cars next to it. My jaw dropped.

t.