Big S gauge layout at downtown Macy's in St. Louis

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Dave Farquhar, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

The American Flyer S Gauge club of St. Louis traditionally puts a large display in the last department store remaining in downtown St. Louis. There was fear since Macy's took over that this might end, but not this year. The display is impressive. Here are some pics.

Don't you want this in your basement?:)

Attached Files:

2. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Wow! Macy's??? Lived in St Louis for 12 years and don't remember a Macy's. Did they take over the Famous Barr or Dillards downtown?
  3. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Yep, all of the former Famous-Barr stores are Macy's now. The parent company of Macy's bought the parent company of Famous-Barr.
  4. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Wow...didn't know that, thanks. I'd move back to St Louis in a heartbeat...I still root for the Cards!
  5. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Nice looking S gauge layout. Good to see S gauge in the public eye. Thanks for sharing.

Greg Elems
  6. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Not to make you Lionel folks mad, but, I always liked the American Flyer S gauge trains in the department store windows. In Seattle, we had the Bon Marche (another Macys takeover). Every Christmas they had a corner window display of Lionel and American Flyer trains and I and a lot of othere people would stand and watch them until we got too cold to stay any longer. Nice to see an old tradition going on.
  7. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I'm just glad to see trains running, whatever the make. I can enjoy an American Flyer S gauge layout just as much as anything else, even if I've got Marx and Lionel running in my own basement. It's kind of nice to see something a little bit different.

It was also good to see that the layout drew a crowd. While I was there, lots of people stopped and oohed and ahhed over it. It would be even better if some of what was displayed outside was for sale inside, but...
  8. gfmucci

gfmucci Member

My brothers and I had an American Flyer set back in the '50s. I liked it a lot... thought it was more realistic than my back yard buddy's Lionel at the time. But realism depends on $$$$. I see some of the Lionel engines today running $600, $1,000, and $1,500. Wow. I'll bet those are realistic!!!

I enjoyed St. Louis the year I lived there in the late '80's - out in the Ballwin area.

Take care.