big layout!!

13Mtrainer

Aug 21, 2004
central pa
help with around room?

i finally have a bigger space to work with and i need some help with it. i am making a 12 by 17 foot around room layout. double decker any layouts would be helpfull thanks :)

Bikerdad

Oct 17, 2003
Southwestern US
Visit site
What scale? Knowing that makes a big difference. Also, what era, how hardcore are you on "prototypical appearance", because the answer to those two questions gives some idea on what radius can be used on the curves. Are you going to be modelling one of the Great Lakes iron lines with their short short cars, or are you focusing on Transition Era steam with the long passenger cars?

Finally, are you restricting layout to the walls only, or will you be using a pier? What's the depth from front edge to the wall?

13Mtrainer

Aug 21, 2004
central pa
it is ho scale. i am modeling with long industrial frieght pulled by diesel locos. it will be agianst the wall with a 4' to 2' fot depth (4' for the yard)

Bikerdad

Oct 17, 2003
Southwestern US
Visit site
Well, you've probably heard this before, but if you want to model long modern trains, N scale is a better bet. Since that's what I do, and I'm not a track planning junkie, I fear there's little I can contribute to answering your scenario, except ask one more question:

How were you planning on transitioning between decks?

Now, hopefully, somebody else will jump in here with some useful answers for ya.