Big Boy wanted

Livesteam

Aug 26, 2004
Does any one here have the N sclae big boy? if so how is it,powerful? whats the minimum radius?

hswn

Aug 19, 2003
South Shore Nova Scotia
Visit site
I have two of the big boys and one challenger.
The one of the big boys would be the original tooling from Con-Cor this one I can't speak on as I bought it as non operational and haven't repaired it, it's motor is destroyed. I'm told the original tooling wasn't all that great, that thye had motor problems. I have toyed with the idea of remotoring this one.
The other big boy would be the second tooling I bought this one new in the late 80's and it has seen many hours of running haulling fair lenght trains, I was normaly limited to the third track on an N-track set up which had tighter radius. It is presently broke down as a wire left go this is a miner repair that I haven't bothered with as I intend to DCC it when I repair it. I mainly model Canadain National, so I should get a string of UP cars and a UP caboose for with this engine when I'm running it at train shows. I praise the newer big boy and the chalenger as they are good running, croud pleaseing motive power.
I do believe if you are going to run yur trains in public that it is better to have steam engines running as they are groud pleasers, with the rod action, unlike desiels no mater how well detailed. It has always ben a joy to watch people, particularily children as they watch the big boy.
Brady

Livesteam

Aug 26, 2004
Does any one sell those?, i would likethe big boy and a challenger. do you have any pictures of it too see how much bigger it is compared to a dash 8?

sschaer

Aug 23, 2004
i have a brass bigboy. can't remember the manufacturer by now. iirc there were only 250 made. it comes in a very nice wooden box. there was a review in model railroader about 5 years ago.

will sell for $2k.....

sschaer

Aug 23, 2004
if i remember right i paid over $2k with custom and shipping. but i have to warn you. this thing requires 24" minimum radius. i just test-run it on a 3ft flextrack section. no chance to run it on my layout.

sschaer

Aug 23, 2004
sorry for the rather poor quality of the pics. they are analog and scanned

0025_66.jpg

0025_67.jpg

0025_69.jpg

sschaer

Aug 23, 2004
my brass bigboy was built in 2000 by sakatsu inc., japan. 100 of these beauties have been produced. mine is #54.

Charles Mark

Dec 5, 2002
Washington State
Visit site
Probably not Brass. I haven't really looked at it. It is big for sure. It is in a box with other steam engines that says "runs good". It will be fun having it displayed eventually as I'm sure my track curves will be too tight to run it. I don't have any track laid yet and don't have room for those 24" radius someone suggested is required. I'll have to get it out again one of these days to admire it though.

sschaer

Aug 23, 2004
i can't run it on my layout, just taking pictures. no idea how much it pulls.

i did test-runs on a piece of flextrack. the bigboy probably has 30-40 SECONDS of running time.