Big Boy decoder

In leu of buying a Precision-Craft Big Boy for $500, I'm thinking of buying a Genesis Big Boy
for $300 and swapping the MRC decoder with a Tsunami decoder. Has anyone tried this yet? If so, does it have to be modified, hard wired or can it be plugged right in? Thanks much.

Dick
Texas Chief

Hello Dick

I'm curious as to why you would change the decoder that comes with your Athearn Genesis, I just got one, and I'm blown away with every opperation, including the sound, I never expected it to sound this good...

Dick Elmore said:
In leu of buying a Precision-Craft Big Boy for $500, I'm thinking of buying a Genesis Big Boy
for $300 and swapping the MRC decoder with a Tsunami decoder. Has anyone tried this yet? If so, does it have to be modified, hard wired or can it be plugged right in? Thanks much.

Dick
Texas Chief

Actually, I haven't heard one yet. But I keep reading about how bad they sound compared to QSI, Lok-Sound and Tzunami. Besides, I don't know how they are elsewhere but every MRC decoder that has been tried on our club layout with a Digitrax system, has givin us nothing but fits. They are not very user friendly. Every time you shut it down for the night, and then bring it back up a few days later, you have to reprogram the address. Only MRC, which is what Athearn uses on the Big Boy.

Dick
Texas Chief

pgandw

The latest round of MRC decoders used by Athearn are improvements on previous MRC decoders, according to Harold Minkwitz (http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/). His new favorite loco is the Roundhouse 4-4-0 with sound (made by Athearn). I believe December 2006 issue of Model Railroader has comparison reviews of both Big Boy models.

my thoughts, your choices

Dick Elmore said:

Dick
Texas Chief

I'm not sure why to do this. Personally, by the time I spent $300 on the Athearn and $100+ for the Tsunami, I'd just go to $500 for the Precision Craft which is, to me, a far better loco to start with...

TGVDavid

Hello all.New guy here thinking about getting back into the hobby.
I'm thinking about purchasing a PCM Big Boy and I see you've located one for $500.Where can I find such a great deal?

Thanks,
David

David, when I first posted this thread, you could get a PCM Big Boy at Trainworld for $499 preorder. They've since raised them to $549, $579 ,(or something like that) in thieir MR ad, but their website still shows them at $499. One of my fellow club members has one and really likes it.

Dick
Texas Chief:thumb: