Beware, Potential Pirate

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by rickstef, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gil

Gil Active Member

Civil Rico Charge?

Interesting tack on the subject.

Does ebay refund any money to the copyright holder that's been violated?

If ebay retains the money; is aware of continuing copyright violations; and does not show progress in preventing the violations; there is a distinct possibility of a class action lawsuit charging them with aiding and abetting. They could also be charged under the Civil RICO (Racteering Influenced Criminal Organization) statutes here in the U.S. Just a little food for thought...,

2. Kaz

Kaz Member

I would like to think Alan Turing would have seen through this set of responses, I think its automated.
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Alan Turing was very careful to avoid defining intelligence...,

4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Yes ... that is the whole idea. They are putting the Onus on the Copyright holder who has to jump through quite a few hoops to protect themselves. There is no way to submit hard evidence to Ebay that someone is selling a counterfiet. All you can do is put auction id's.
  5. James Hover

James Hover New Member

The only thing that corprats respect is money.
    They will not change there polacy untill a sutably large setelment forses them to. What is neaded is a groop of underhanded publisaty hound, law school grads out to make a name for them selvs. Get togather a large enugf groop of people who have ben scamed on ebay and class action them into chapter elevan.
    thay may be able to blow off 1 or evan 100 complaints but when it gets to thousands all with aturnys and a press confrance thay will cave in a heart beat
    thay cant aford bad press and class action sutes always get lots of press:twisted:the press hates the big guy and crying kids with busted counterfit toys always play well in the ratings :-D or maby the nice mom who bogt little tommy a model or game on line only to find out it was crap
  6. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

"it wont be long before someone does something so wrong that the right person catches on and nails Ebay's ass to the wall."

likely very true. we regularly check the site for illicit copies of our product. our line is protected by actual copyright, not "stated" copyright (this makes a big difference). any action would be against the offender(s) and e-bay. e-bay would of course ask to be removed from any suit of this type, claiming "we do all we can". a wealth of depositions to the contrary would likely show they are not doing enough, or what might be termed "reasonable and prudent" to stop these violations in a timely manner. that spells negligence and that means they would be "on the hook". it will happen. i can only hope whoever benefits from this occuring will use some of the proceeds to establish some sort of legal "watchdog" group for paper model designers/distributors....
  7. James Hover

James Hover New Member

i saw on the news yesterday where a group of big name fashion designers including Armoni and Vitton are threatening to sue over the same issues. They have scarier lawyers than most governments, so ebay's days might be numbered.
    It was inevitable, you can't run a scam like theirs and just say, "oops, sorry" for ever--sooner or later some one big enough to be heard will object. Though personally, I thought they were bound to catch it when thay had a kidney for auction, not to mention the occasional harem girl. "So sorry" only goes so far then the bulldog bites:cry:
  8. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

The only issue I see with eBay getting sued is, where do you draw the line between Piracy, and selling used items?

The obvious used items, and claiming something is other than it really is (knock offs, scans/copies of copywrited material, etc) will be easy. The fine line will be used software, documents, etc....

I would hate to be on the new legal team they would have to put together to determine which items can be legally sold or resold.....
  9. Major Walter Schmidt

Major Walter Schmidt Newbie Designer

I found a Pirate site giving GPM scans for free...
    Link removed to pirate site
    could someone delete this website? or maybe contact btjunkie.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.