Beware, Potential Pirate

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by rickstef, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi all,

I got an interesting email earlier this evening.

If you will have been interested in exchanging scan papermodels, reply this email requesting me my list of scan models.
    I have a great collection of scan models from almost editors old and new, some collections are complete like maly modelarz.
    I have interest for all type of papermodels planes, boats, buildings, trucks trains or others

Best Regards!!

the email address is paperscancollector at

I assume that he got my email from the site, and I bet others have gotten the same email.

If anyone knows who this person(a term I use lightly), let me know and I will remove him.

2. ShaunGamer

ShaunGamer Member

Yeah I just ignored him. Apart from all the legalities and morality of the matter(which has been covered extensively in other topics on this site), it could be a scam. There have been similar emails on other hobbies (PC Games, card games) that take your items and given nothing back. Just a warning for those who might be tempted!!!
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I got it too Rick.
    Phishing anyone..............

Deleted with the rest of the "trash emails"

4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Hi, I got the same message, also last summer someone sent a plea for gameboy/playstation stuff and offered scans of just about every paper model ever made in trade. And the bugger was persistant. These clowns are out there, to bad there isn't a bounty on them.
  5. ramatoto

ramatoto Member

the same mail goes around here in Europe, to members of every card-model-forum, someone has it isulated comming from Portugal.

Just remove it!!!!

6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I had a similar contact a few months ago, wanted me to pick up a package from a mate of his who is a trans-Europe coach driver. Like I'd go all the way to London to handle a parcel I had no idea what it contained....

These people must be barking. But what is more worrying, sometimes they must strike it lucky and con some poor sap into doing their donkey work for them. Anyone seen 'Midnight Express'?

Bin the message. Don't reply. Move on.....

Tim P
  7. josve

josve Active Member

Got it also...deleted...
  8. Rev

Rev Member

Conned on ebay.

Okay, I'm stupid. I purchased a collection on ebay. when I received the package of CDs containing the paper models I knew that I had purchased illegal models. I got my money back, trashed the CDs, and left a very negative review for the ebay seller.

I have purchased models from reputable firms and resellers and will continue.

Not my brightest moment.
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Let me guess ... from Brazil?

I have been in contact with Ebay over him and another similar seller from Brazil. 3 months of back and forth emails with Ebay and 3 illegal sellers continue to sell their illegal product on ebay.

1 other seller is in NewYork and I am only moments away from contacting the state police and reporting him for operating a Pirating Warehouse since everything he is selling on Ebay appears to be scanned/copied and burned onto CDs.
  10. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I am terrified that anyone would even open an email from someone they do not know. This is an EXTREMELY BAD practice.
  11. rickstef

rickstef Guest

most properly installed anti-virus software will catch the baddies.

In this case the email i got was in plain text, nothing fancy.

in my day to day job, I am very vigilant about viruses, the data which sits on my computer is very valuable, I have to maintain some high dollar data.

So I understand where you are coming from, but if you are careful, and have up to date anti virus, then you will be ok.

12. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Definately. Norton Anti-Virus and pop up blocker all the way here.

Scan weekly, update frequently.
  13. hpept

hpept Member

Please, let me say here that it's NOT me. :grin:
    Since i appear to be the only paper modeller in Brasil, i don't want anyone think bad about me.

Incidentally, there are at least a couple of "subjects" who recurrently sell paper models on, which is a local consociate of eBay. I have repeatedly contacted them during their auctions and even publicly discouraged possible buyers by writing in the auction page that it was a pirate copy. Obviously they're still there... :cry:
    Unfortunately here in Brasil pirate copies are a plague. You can go down in the street and find hundred of illegal seller selling CDs, DVDs, console games all rigorously pirated. The worse is that they seem to be tolerated by the law forces which don't do anything. :mad:
  14. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

LOL. I doubt anyone suspected you.

Pirating is a problem, everywhere.
  15. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Pirating is a problem. People making money from it is a bigger problem. Some places are frought with it and local governments take little or no steps to curb activities resulting in some people to go and actively respond to it. ex. Adobe's decision to drop some southeast asian languages from their support.

But I digress.

Even though another country has problems dealing with it... it should NOT be allowed to on sale sites reaching other countries. I have been dialoging with Ebay's automation like mad trying to get sellers off that site and Ebay does not want to admit to it. Buyers have little to no rights on Ebay and crooked sellers can do whatever they want even using the system's rules against honest buyers.
  16. There's a lot of talk about pirated Maly kits but in none of them have I seen any indication of where you can buy the CDs of these old kits legitimately.

I'm not one to defend eBay but the reality of copyright laws is that only the holder of the copyright may lodge an actionable complaint against someone violating their copyright. Third party, concerned citizens can only notify the copyright holder of the violations. eBay would be on shaky ground booting off sellers just because some third party said they were violating someone else's copyrights.

Cheers --- Larry
  17. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I agree rickstef, just be careful people,...viruses, worms, trojans, spyware, keyloggers...BIG BROTHER!!! LOL
  18. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

"I'm not one to defend eBay but the reality of copyright laws is that only the holder of the copyright may lodge an actionable complaint against someone violating their copyright. Third party, concerned citizens can only notify the copyright holder of the violations. eBay would be on shaky ground booting off sellers just because some third party said they were violating someone else's copyrights."

with all due respect, in context to ebay, this should read "copyright holder or appointed representative". sooner or later, this will end up costing ebay, and their reputation will suffer accordingly.

on a different note, i don't sell to customers from brazil. nothing personal, it's just business. until brazilian authorities actually do something about the problem, designers and distributors cannot afford to do business there. that's not the way it should be, but that's the way it is.
  19. Certainly true but this means eBay can't do anything is a concerned modeler contacts them about such things. They provide a service. They can't accuse people of anything based on heresay, which is what people seem to expect them to do.

Cheers --- Larry
  20. Rev

Rev Member

What I expected.

I didn't expect ebay to do anything. I did leave a negative response. I can see where ebay has this problem, only the holders of the copyright can do anything. . .

I just need to be a little more careful when I purchase something and try to find out if they seller really owns what they are selling.

Great information and good to know, if I ever sell a model online I will be careful not to sell to Brazil.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.