Better Paper for Downloads - Injet

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by sakrison, Dec 1, 2006.

1. sakrison

sakrison Member

I've been using and recommending Wausau "Bright White" Premium 65# Card Stock for printing downloaded models. It works well, it's relatively cheap, and I can get it at Staples.

I've just found a new paper that I like even better--Cougar Cover stock. It has a very smooth finish and colors come out noticably brighter than on the Wausau paper. It seems to be closer to the kind of paper that high-quality printed kits are using.

So far, I can only get it through local print shops, at about eight cents a sheet. It's also available online but I'm not sure in what quantities or at what price, when you factor in shipping. (Cardstock is heavy.)

No worries,

Current project: Japanese Mini-Sub in 1/35 scale
    Most recent project (still underway): GPM "Leopold" Rail Gun, 1/25 scale
  2. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Glad you mention this, because I was using the one common in Walmart (maybe in other stores as well), the 110 lb. But is not as white as I wish. Then I found one here in Mexico, the brand is Copamex, type "opalina". I'm using 120 gr and I found it great for modeling (available at Office Depot Mexico), specially for its bright white characteristics.
    But your suggestion is appealing. Maybe on the weekend I'll go and check it out (at least the one in Staples).
  3. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

If you can find it, Xerox 65# Bright White Card Stock (3R11611) is beautiful paper with one extremely smooth side. I only wish I could get it in legal size for my A4 downloads.
  4. sakrison

sakrison Member

I'll look for it. It may be easier to find than Cougar Cover. Thanks, Ron.

You can print A4 downloads on letter size paper by taping a narrow strip to the top of the sheet before you feed it into the printer. I think it's about 5/8", but you can experiment. That effectively eliminates the top margin and puts all of the A4 image on your 11" sheet--for most images. You could speed this up by taping some post-it notes together to make a strip 8-1/2 inches wide. Draw a guideline to show how much overlap you need. Then just slap that on the back of each sheet of cardstock and stick it in the printer.

For 1/33 aircraft, I usually just reduce them to 94%. That gives you a model in 1/35 scale, close enough to 1/33 and compatible with 1/35 scale plastic figures and other details.

No worries,
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I just picked up a Xerox 3R11625 from Office Depot to try out. I doesn't say the briteness number, but I really don't like the brite white, because most of the models I do are weathered and I'd have to cover it anyway.

250 sheets for 10 bucks US. Not too bad, we'll see how it prints when I get through this open pack from Wal-Mart.

I'll let y'all know.

6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Awww, come on John!
    You can have another open pack of card...I have 5 of them open...:grin: