Better Modeling with Meta/Pep/P.N – Tutorial 1: Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric_son

Hi,

Is there a way in META to change the pivot point of an object during rotation?
Let's say I want to cut a door on the side of a fuselage.
First, I use a knife tool to cut the door's outline.
Then, I select the faces that comprise the door.
Now, I want to swivel the door open.
Normally, if I perform a rotate operation on the selected faces, META will do the rotate along the middle most point of the selected faces. I'd like to perform the rotate along the edge.

Eric

Jaybats

Hi,

I think so, but I've not had the chance to figure out how to use it yet. When you press Rotate, and the Rotate window pops-up, press the button "Number" at the bottom of the box. It brings up an Rotate controls window; at the bottom are X.Y.Z coordinate buttons which apparently define the rotation point's location.

Rather than figure it out, I've usually taken the easier road: for a door/hatch, I'd Copy and Paste the selection, then Rotate it as normal, then use the Move handles to align the side with hinges. Then I'd delete the original faces. This way I don't mess up the fuselage if I make a mistake with the door/hatch.

eric_son

I think so, but I've not had the chance to figure out how to use it yet. When you press Rotate, and the Rotate window pops-up, press the button "Number" at the bottom of the box. It brings up an Rotate controls window; at the bottom are X.Y.Z coordinate buttons which apparently define the rotation point's location.

Rather than figure it out, I've usually taken the easier road: for a door/hatch, I'd Copy and Paste the selection, then Rotate it as normal, then use the Move handles to align the side with hinges. Then I'd delete the original faces. This way I don't mess up the fuselage if I make a mistake with the door/hatch.

I tried playing around with the "LOCAL" button too thinking that it would do the trick. But after struggling for an hour and even trying to decipher the Japanese user's manual with my meager nihongo skills, I gave up. :(

I guess manual alignment is the best way.

Jaybats

can someone tell me why when a model is unfolded in pep the textyre gets all these white lines in?

aren't those fold lines, or lines in a flat plane on the model (e.g. when you have a square that's actually made up of 2 triangles).

Nothing

Longtime Member
no. in that pic you can see the dashed fold lines running at an angle to the white lines. the white lines show up all over the model.

K_2

Hi,
Eric

You need to press the CTRL key while your moving the rotate handle (small yellow cube). Being in wireframe mode and pressing the F1,F2,F3 keys will help you position the handle. The Handle position will frustrate you by 'resetting' after you rotate the selection, so you have to get it right the first time.

Also for Jaybat and anyone that doesn't know, when resizing the background image, press the SHIFT key to maintain the correct aspect ratio.

eric_son

You need to press the CTRL key while your moving the rotate handle (small yellow cube). Being in wireframe mode and pressing the F1,F2,F3 keys will help you position the handle. The Handle position will frustrate you by 'resetting' after you rotate the selection, so you have to get it right the first time.

Hey it works! Thanks. :)

But you're right, it does 'reset' after you do the rotate. Very frustrating. :(

Lex

Dollmaker
can someone tell me why when a model is unfolded in pep the textyre gets all these white lines in?
This does crop up sometimes... might be because the surfaces does not fit perfectly flat... You might want to try dividing the parts~

K_2

Great :) If your door is cut and pasted as a seperate object you could use the local command.
With the door object selected as current (highlighted blue in object panel) turn 'shape' OFF in the local popup, to move/rotate the handle, when you have it in the right place, turn 'shape' ON', select rotate in the local popup and rotate the part.

Could someone please do a test for me?
Some on this thread have been using the Boolean tool in version 2.48, i'm wondering if this plugin has been integrated in the new shareware version without you needing to register. Could someone who isn't registered please download/inform us if you actually need to be registered to use it.

nothing - try going to configuration -> line style configuration - then uncheck 'hide fold lines almost flat'. You should see that the white lines follow polygon lines. The lines will appear like this if your part is slightly domed. Try using the align vertices in metasequoia to neaten up your model.

eric_son

If your door is cut and pasted as a seperate object you could use the local command.
With the door object selected as current (highlighted blue in object panel) turn 'shape' OFF in the local popup, to move/rotate the handle, when you have it in the right place, turn 'shape' ON', select rotate in the local popup and rotate the part.
Hey! It works! Thanks.

Could someone please do a test for me?
Some on this thread have been using the Boolean tool in version 2.48, i'm wondering if this plugin has been integrated in the new shareware version without you needing to register. Could someone who isn't registered please download/inform us if you actually need to be registered to use it.

I used to use the shareware version of 2.4.8. The boolean ops are not available (it won't even appear in the menu). The boolean ops are provided by a plug-in. According to the feature checklist in the META site, plug-ins are disabled in the shareware version of META and will be enable only after registering.

Actually, that's the main reason why I bought a license -- to get that boolean plug-in. :)

K_2

eric_son

Aww pity- he should build it in :)
And as your a registered user, try - Ž„‰Æ”Å Metasequoia—pƒvƒ‰ƒOƒCƒ“ƒŠƒ“ƒNW
The vauum plugin from elemental soft is a nice addition once you figure it out - ELEMENTAL SOFT - metasequoia : 真空パックplugin ver0.01
Some of the more usefull are explode, solidify, facemap, noise

Unfortunately, over the different versions of metasequoia, some plugins ceased to work, you may need v.2.2.3 for some of them.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try 'em out.

RE: Boolean plug-in
Yeah, the boolean plug-in should have been built in. I visited the home page of the plug-in's creator -- Bomber..something.. forgot the URL. The site has ceased to be updated and even the links to the BOOLEAN page are dead.

Master-Bruce

I just wanted to post a HUGE "Thank You" to Jay and all the members here who have shared info and tips on Meta.

This program has always appealed to me as the program I usually use(Truespace) has been somewhat lacking when it came to modelling more curved shapes or even fidure models. I wanted to switch to Meta but just couldn't come to grips with it.

Now, thanks to Jay and all the members here, I've been able to start a new project modelled completely in Meta! :)

Image8.jpg

Image9.jpg

Image10.jpg

There's still work to do yet but it's shaping up pretty well. It takes longer than it might in Truespace but I'm getting better results by far. For those wondering, it's the Eternal from Gundam Seed/Destiny. ;)

ex21_10.jpg

I also want to thank Claudio Dias who first tried to help me with this style of modelling, and Lex who's anime modelling tut' was also invaluable in getting me this far. rlc321 also get's a "thanks", working with him on his latest projects has also given me an insight into how these are modelled in Meta, AND for getting me hooked on Gundam. LOL

Sorry if this comes across as a hijack. I'm just greatful to you guys for getting this old dog to learn new tricks. :)

Lex

Dollmaker
...See? We definitely need more tutorials! It's better if we can all share our knowledge rather that keeping them to ourselves ^^ Another thank-you to Jay and nice work Skip!

Master-Bruce

Thanks Lex. I appreciate it.

True, we've seen a fair few new modellers giving design a go lately. I don't doubt it's down to some great tutorials. MORE, more more. :)

eric_son

Thanks Lex. I appreciate it.

True, we've seen a fair few new modellers giving design a go lately. I don't doubt it's down to some great tutorials. MORE, more more. :)

I agree!

If not for Jay's and the other members' tutorial, I wouldn't even have bothered trying to design my own models. But now I'm all fired up... :)

Master-Bruce

Good for you! What do you have in mind as a project? I'm a sci-fi guy myself but it's always good to see ANYTHING new here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.