Best way to weather model cars or houses?

gregbva123

Mar 14, 2003
VA
Visit site
What is the best way to weather model Railroad cars and structures?
I'm trying to use Rubbing Alcohol and India Ink, but it seems to be to runny???

Thanks,
Greg

vanda32547

Jun 4, 2002
Miami Florida
www.geocities.com
Your weathered rolling stock is awesome...

Rich,

My hat is off to you. :thumb:

Your cars look so real, I can't believe they are models. I will use your suggestions when I start to weather my cars.

Thanks for the nice tutorial,

Hey, Greg....

Rich has this technique down cold and is a real artist! As Rich points out, by buying some pastel sticks at an art supply house, you can begin to get to where you want to go. The black pastel dries as a grey, the browns, reds, and tans all work well, too. They can be turned into a fine powder by grinding the stick onto medium grit sandpaper. From there you can begin using a damp brush for application. You can also do what I call a 'rub 'n wash' by distributing the colored effect across the surface with a damp Q-tip for a swapping tool. I also find that chalks and pastels 'seat' themselves well into flat finishes because of the porosity. I have yet to clearcoat a model that I've weathered in this way. I have since changed over to the Bragdon powders (www.bragdonent.com) which are formulated to adhere to surfaces. They're applied in a similar fashion. You may want to get a small, short bristle brush at the art supply shop while you're there...it does a great job of working dry owder into the finish for wet swabbing afterwords. Here's a DL&W express box that I did usiong this method. After seeing Rich's work, I have some more practice to do!! ;)

Russ

Russ

Attachments

• DLW Xpress Box.JPG
    DLW Xpress Box.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 108

rdivizio

Dec 28, 2003
www.modeltrainsweathered.com
Thanks Russ, and your right, It's nice using a weathering powder.

The ones I use also have a dry adhesive built right in.

I can manipulate the effects I want very easily.

I use the dull coat sometimes to really deaden that shine, but that can also be done with the powders.

I use powders from AIM Adventures in Miniature.
These powders are not on the market yet.

They were sent to me to try out and they are great!
9 colors

Rich