Best Track Cleaning Eraser?????

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by dmiller12, Jan 5, 2005.

1. dmiller12

dmiller12 New Member

I bought the "Perfect" brand track cleaning eraser at the LHS a week ago and was totally disappointed on it's performance. It seemed to have no grit at all. I would love to hear some opinions on who makes the best erasers and/or some great tips on cleaning. [​IMG]
  2. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Hi d,
    You really don't want a rough abrasive. The more the
    track surface is scratched, the more oil and dirt will collect
    in the scratches, enen though they are microscopic.
    Clean the track with alcohol or goo-gone or some such
    solvent on a clean rag. Watch out for snagging the points! :thumb:

Or use a track-cleaning car, if you have too much track!!! :D :D
  3. engineshop

engineshop Member

I use a product called MAAS Metal Polish which is available at Home Depot. It does not scratch the surface since I agree with cidchase on abrasive material.

Here is the web site of the manufacture of that great product.
  4. COCentralRR

COCentralRR New Member

I used to use a Bright Boy to clean my track, and my results were so-so. I decided to treat myself to an Atlas track cleaning car this Xmas season, and after a few circuits of my layout, the track was cleaner than the Bright Boy ever made it. Of course, the track cleaning car was much more expensive than a Bright Boy, but I thought the cost was worth it.
  5. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Of all the "eraser" type track cleaners, the Perfect brand is probably the most "track friendly". Scratches in the rail heads "breed" more dirt. Track cleaning cars, like Centerline, used with Aerocar brand track cleaning fluid, are really the best.
  6. siderod

siderod Member

I have Flitz metal polish, and a product i call ACT-6006...between the 2 of 'em, the rails actually take on that multi-facceted look of ground rail...after trainwheels have rolled over it.

Can't get it on film, but looks damn cool in person!
  7. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

and a product i call ACT-6006...
    That's the Aerocar brand fluid.