Best N scale Mikado ( the sky is the limit )

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Biased turkey, Mar 31, 2007.

1. porkypine52

porkypine52 New Member

You'd better send that engine back the the shop. Somebody has stole the BELL!!

Now go get the Driver Set with The TRACTION TIRE, install it and let that Mike PULL.

In my opinion the KATO Mikado's are the best N-Scale steamer out there. Runs like a watch, has great detail, and don't cost a bundle. I guess that's why the Indiana Railway has about 20 of them on the roster.

The INDIANA RAILWAY---100% Steam Powered
  2. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

Thanks for the info porkypine52, I didn'n know there is a traction tires optional kit available.
    At least I know I didn't purchase a lemon.
    Let that Mike pull :) my N scale layout is only 25" by 36 ", so there isn't not much to pull lol.
    By the way, on every German model railroad engines ( Marklin, Fleischmann or Trix ) the traction tires are a standard feature, not an option.
    As Iron Goat mentioned, the most important is to have fun and you bet I have fun running my Mike.
  3. Bill Wedlake

Bill Wedlake New Member

Ordered my Mikado 2-8-2 Steam Engine

Based on your success I just had to order one. I ordered the Kato Chicago, Burlington & Quincy USRA 2-8-2 Heavy Mikado from N Scale Supply (which some one suggested). Decided on the CB&Q versus the 20th anniversary since the new Kato CB&Q is also fully assembled and at the same price. Also ordered the Traction Tire Driver as I read that it is needed to pull a large number of cars.

4. Biased turkey

You must be impatient to receive your new toy .
    I hesitated between the 20th anniversary and some real roadname version. I opted for the 20th anniversary because it is obviously the latest production run for the Mike so it should have some previous problem corrected.
    Obviously the bell problem hasn't been corrected :cry: I'm kidding here because it's not Kato fault.
  5. Bill Wedlake

Bill Wedlake New Member

Reply to post 'Best N scale Mikado ( the sky is the limit )

Biased turkey,

This is also one of the latest production run variety but they have now released it in both Chicago, Burlington & Quincy and unlettered versions. This is the same as the anniversary version. Suggest you get the Traction Tire Driver as it only costs about $8.00 US, is easy to install, and really adds to the pulling power.

6. Biased turkey

7. Bill Wedlake

Bill Wedlake New Member

Installing Traction Tire Driver

Biased turkey,

Here is Kato's URL that explains how to install the traction tire.

A small philips screw driver and flat screw driver is required to remove two screws. The old driver is removed and new one installed. Put back the brake shoe plate and replace the screws. Seems to be easy to do, and I plan to add the driver to mine when it arrives.

Also, here is the URL for the new Kato Mikado.

8. skipgear

skipgear Member

For the best Mikado, turn it into a 2-10-2. Since the B&O did have any heavy Mikado's that looked anything like the Kato I had to do something else to be able to run these excellent loco's:

Underneath that is a Kato Mikado.

Link to more photo's of how it's done.
  9. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Great lookin' new loco, Bt, but "don't get fooled again" :D :D : skip that traction tire if you need more pulling power. This is a perfect excuse for a second Mikado, which will also increase pulling power, but, in addition, will also look much nicer than a crummy traction tire. :rolleyes: :D :D

10. skipgear

skipgear Member

I don't understand peoples resistance to traction tires?

Without traction tires, the photo below is not possible.

That is the S-1 pictured above (based on a Mikado Chassis) pulling 70 cars by itself. It did this for 30 minutes with no failures, derailments or problems last year at the Div. 7 NMRA show Cincinnati Ntrak club track. The loco actually has 2 sets of traction tires. You can replace the #2 an #4 drivers on the Mikado with traction tires. The extra set of tires on a stock Mikado doesn't increase traction by the ammount the first axle does but it does help pulling power on uneven track. By design, the drawbar keeps the loco from nosing (pulling a wheelie) but this can cause the rear (traction tired) drivers to lift off the rails on sharp grade changes or uneven track. The extra set of tires on the #2 axle will help get the loco through these spots.
  11. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Hey, use 'em if ya like 'em. :D :D I'd still prefer the second loco, or barring that, do my own modifications to the loco. The example that you show is very impressive, just seems a bit too "ready-to-run" for my tastes. ;) :D :D

Wayne (I can't even keep in step with the different drummer!!:rolleyes: )
  12. Biased turkey

skipgear you did an excellent job, congratulations and ...the bell is not missing :)

Today I purchased better magnifying glasses so I can fix the missing bell on mine.
    My layout is 25" by 36" so I can only dream about pulling 70 cars.