Best N scale Mikado ( the sky is the limit )

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Biased turkey, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

I'll get retired a few months from now , so I want to make myself a good retirement present ( I'm sure my nice wife will cooperate financially for it ).
    I'm not familiar at all with those expensive brass imports so any suggestion is welcome.
    The most important point is relialability ( I'm not a rivet counter but of course don't try to sell me a Mogul for a Mikado ).
  2. berraf

berraf Member

I don't know about Mogul or Mikados but I want to congratulate you to a good decision to buy your self a present to celebrate the event of becoming a grown up man sign1
  3. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

The Kato Mikado is probably the best one I've come across, with the Model Power Mike running a close second.
  4. Denyons

Denyons Member

I agree...The Kato Mikado is the best.
    I have one myself but I should really install the Kato upgrade wheels that have tires on them.
    Mine is OK pulling 10 or 15 cars but slips on any incline.
    Aparently with the upgrade this does not happen,
  5. spyder62

spyder62 New Member

I have two of the Kato's and they are great runners.
  6. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Member

Another vote for Kato. Mine have the traction tire axle installed.
  7. Biased turkey

Thanks to all The Gauge members who took some of their time to reply and to ecourage mre to get a Mikado for my retirement present.
    Yesterday I ordered the Kato Mikado 20th anniversary model. I understand that the Kato Micado kas been released 3 times since 1996.
    The 20th anniversary release doesn't have any real roadname on it, but it has tha Kato logo.
    I hope I can find some real roadname decals to fix that detail.
  8. Bill Wedlake

Bill Wedlake New Member

Where did you place the order?

Where did you find one of the Kato's? I would like to order one, but all the places I have looked show it out of stock or unaviable.

9. Biased turkey

The store is in Canada ,it is named The Credit Valley Railway Company.
    I faxed them my purchased order for the 20th anniversary Mikado on thursday march 29.
    So far I didn't receive any email confirmation that they are out of stock for the Mikado .
    No news, good news.

Here is the link:

P.S. I purchased 3 times from them and they are a serious business.
    Good luck

Latest news :I just checked their homepage 1 minute ago and it's strange because they don't mention the Kato 20th anniversary anymore. That doesn't looks goood.
  10. Denyons

Denyons Member

You may want to try Wig Wag trains or N Scale Supply.
  11. Biased turkey

Surprise, surprise I just picked my Mikado today at the post office. So obviously the Credit Valley Railway Company have some in stock.
    They have a toll-free number so it worth giving them a call.

I'll post pictures the day after tomorrow.
  12. Biased turkey

Here is the 1st picture, it's not that good because I'm using the flash.
    I'll post a better picture next weekend when I'll be able to shot the picture in daylight ( I won't even be able to shot the picture with the sunlight because the weather is crappy right now in Montreal and the rain should keep going on at least until ... friday of next week then ... we'll get some freezing rain ).

13. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

That is a great looking "Mike"... you are now ready to enter the world of "retired model railroading"!!!

Bob :thumb:
  14. Biased turkey

Here is the picture in daylight . That Mike is really impressive, even in Nscale.
    I don't regret my "retirement present " at all. The Mikado has no problem at all for negociating 9.75 " curves.
  15. Biased turkey

Here is a front close-up
  16. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

Now that is a really great looking steamer!! Your new "Mike" is awesome... I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but are you missing a bell?

17. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

It looks as if Mike's from all 3 production runs (tho not every variety) are still available at Amherst depot; and some seem to be available at Wig Wag Trains.

Does anyone know how close to the SP original Alco Schenectady built MK-7 class the Kato Mikado is? (The SP Kato's from 1996 are numbered for this variety).
  18. Biased turkey

The bell is not missing, I found it under a small ( tiny ) plastic bag containing ... rapido couplers .
    When I tried to install the bell it flew all across the living room .There is a pin at the bottom of the bell to insert it in the bell bracket ( sorry but English is not my native language so I don't know the exact name for that bell support ).
    So I'm left with 2 options:
    1) try again at the risk of breaking the plastic bell bracket
    2) cut the bell bracket and nobody except my wife , The Gauge members and I I will know about it and my MIkado will be underdetailed :)
  19. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

Your English is just fine... sorry for the problem. I think if I had to decide, I would set up some towels , etc. on all four sides... to act as curtains (to catch the bell in case it decides to go "flying" again, and try to set the bell in place. If that just can't be done, then you can always try "option #2".

It's just that the bell is an "eye catcher", and it is certainly an important feature on any locomotive... so I would try to save it.

Once again, good luck with the bell... and above all, have fun with that new Mikado!!!

Bob :thumb:
  20. Biased turkey

It's funny because being born in Europe ( Belgium, 1948 ) steam locomotives didn't have a bell, only a steam whistle.
    The 1st bell sound I heard on a locomotive was when I immigrated to Canada in 1980.