Best for wash: India ink or acrylic

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by Biased turkey, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

I used some Tamiya acrylic ( aircraft model ) paint for my 1st wash . I posted a pic several weeks ago.
    Doctorwayne suggested that I should syphon the excess with some paper towel.
    I'm modeling in N scale so every defect is highly accentuated.
    So the question is: does India ink has finer pigments than the one found in acrylic paints such as Tamiya, or Polly Scale Railroad acrylics ?
    Or it just doesn't matter, both get the same result.
    I'm asking the question because my wife wants to visit a craft store tomorrow.
  2. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

All I use is India Ink for wash. I highly dilute it with alcohol and use a spray bottle to apply it. I have also dabbed it on with a brush, and sometimes go over it several times until I get the look I want. The alcohol actually will soften up the acrylic paint so I always wait until it's dry before I overcoat it again. It normally goes on looking a lot darker than it will dry. If you're not happy with it, you can spray it with plain alcohol to clean it off or thin it down.

There are those here that are much better at weathering than I am, but that's what I do and it works... for me at least...
  3. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

I prefer water-based paints, as there are lots of colours available: not all weathering is black. :D Several Members have reported good results with craft paints, which are generally a lot cheaper than MRR paints, and I may give them a try on my next project.

4. Catt

Catt Guest

Water based paints are just about the only thing I use for weathering.As low priced as they are at Wal-Mart,Michaels ,and any other craft store and with so doggone many colours available I just don't see the need for other weathering materials for at least for me.
  5. CAS

CAS Member

Me, too. But i add the blue windshield wash to my mix. It doesn't bead up like when water is added to the paints.

6. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Not all ink is black either...! ;)

The key to a nice wash is to find paints with finely ground pigments. Some of the cheaper "dollar store" acrylics are great for dry-brushing, but do not thin very well for a wash, as the pigment is too coarse. You may have to look for a "artists quality" paint that may cost a little more...

7. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

I agree MasonJar, the pigments granularity is important for a wash and getting fine pigments is even more important in N scale.
    I might be wrong but do modelers favor India ink because it has finer pigments than acrylic paint ?

Tamiya acrylic is not what I would call a "dollar store" paint ( ask my wallet ) :)
  8. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I would hazard a guess from looking at the India Ink that its pigment is extremely fine.

I guess then it comes back to: "Are you getting unsatisfactory results with the Tamiya acrylics?". If no, then if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Alternatively, you can always do an experiment to see if you notice any difference. The dollar store paints are much more wallet-friendly, especially for experimental purposes. And India Ink will only cost you about $4 for a lifetime supply... ;)