Best EMD F7 loco

I'm modelling the Western Maryland, which like many roads in the 1950s used EMD F units. F7A's specifically. A few manufacturers have or do make F7s but I'm interested in the opinions of some who have them on here. What runs well, looks the best and so on. I will need B units also, and I think this may limit my choices quite a bit. I'd ultimately like to put a A-B-B-A set together. They need not all be powered, and the road name availability is unimportant as I can paint them myself (black...real tough!).
I like my Alcos and BL2s, but need to represent some F7s! :)

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
ddavidv said:
A few manufacturers have or do make F7s but I'm interested in the opinions of some who have them on here. What runs well, looks the best and so on. .... :)
]

IMHO it would have to be the Athearn Genenis or Highliner w/ Athearn drive. I have all 5 Genesis units painted for MP and some Highliner shells I will run on Kato drives from Stewart units. Both drives are excellent and since I'm running DCC are easy to convert even including sound.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
CalFlash said:
]

IMHO it would have to be the Athearn Genenis or Highliner w/ Athearn drive. I have all 5 Genesis units painted for MP and some Highliner shells I will run on Kato drives from Stewart units. Both drives are excellent and since I'm running DCC are easy to convert even including sound.

And since those aren't in the scale he wants the point is moot.

Delamaize

Oct 14, 2004
Lacey, Wa.
MMMM Kato!

you can NEVER go wrong with the old Kato F7s. they are spendy, but they are brutes, tough, stong and dependible. I have heard some Ok things about the Bachman spectrums, but stay away from all the other bachman F units.

If I was you, I would shell out the bucks for the Katos, I have a F7 AB set that have been though hell and still run like tops, and a set of F3 ABA that are equally as good.

that is my 2 cents.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
When I was in N scale my bestest, favoritest engines were my Con Cor PA1 and my Bachmann F7. That F unit would pull all 30 of my cars up a 3.5% grade without a complaint, no modifications whatsoever. I really do miss them.