Berserk Battlestar by Jay B and Trent (nothing) Henry

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Revell-Fan, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator

Hello, again!

Not so long ago in a galaxy quite nearby (aka "www") I found the Berserk Battlestar by Jay B and Trent (nothing) Henry. The vessel appeared briefly in "BSG: Razor" and was destroyed when the Cylons attacked the Scorpion shipyard facility (a pity; would have loved to see more of the Berserk in action).

Building the model is very easy. The folding lines are well placed and nearly all parts come as blocks. I cut off the flaps of the lizard head and glued it from behind with paper strips to achieve a smooth curved surface. The spine and the engines need some trimming and the big fuel tubes are a bit too short. The main body around the landing bay would greatly benefit from some internal support since it bends easily.

The landing bay itself is a very tricky design: several blocky parts (top, floor, two sides) have to be arranged in a way that they form a rectangular runway. You have to work very carefully to get the correct shape. The texture of the bay's interior is excellent; unfortunately you don't see much of it any more after assembly.

Assembly is straight forward, however, due to the lack of guide lines and assembly instructions I strongly recommend collecting all pics of this ship you can find for reference first ( / Alfred Wong's site /; you may look at my pics as well). Be careful when glueing the fuel tubes in position (don't confuse them; the big ones bend downwards AND inwards, the big end is aft, the front end has to be extended with cardboard pieces).

The Berserk is a fine ship, very well textured, presented in a nice scale. I'm thinking about adding elevated details and small turrets to improve her overall appearance. I'm definitely going to create an adequate display stand for it soon (and yes, I still have to colour the edges!). The model is 36 cm long (I hope it is in scale with the new Moebius Galactica).

Enjoy the pics and a big "Thank you" to Jay B and Trent for bringing this tough vessel to us!

Attached Files:

Paperwerk likes this.
  2. Revell-Fan

Some more pics. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

3. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

This looks really good. You did a fantastic job on it.
  4. Rhaven Blaack

Where can I get a copy of this model? I would like to add it to my collection.
  5. Revell-Fan

6. Rhaven Blaack

7. Revell-Fan

8. Rhaven Blaack

I saw it. It looks good. I am adding it to my collection.
  9. MAGI

MAGI Member

Great job

Thanks for posting.

Nice clean lines.
  10. Revell-Fan

Thank you! You are welcome! :wave:
  11. treker2557

treker2557 New Member

I built this with a resin model. With so much detail in it what a amazing job you did! I'm impressed.
  12. MTK

MTK Active Member

It's really so easy to make your own though and the fact is that in this economy..... Besides, actually building your own ships from scratch and following through and seeing what you were able to do with your own two hands.... There's just nothing like it.

I'm finding that card modeling, especially when you build your own ship in Metasequoia and doing your own texturing and graphics... Well, I see building a model in the computer, out putting it into an unfoldable format,
    texturing it, building it as a card model and then using the templates to create that same model in another media... It seems to be the perfect cynergy in the various different methodologies.

The more I learn about CG, cardmodeling, and texturing etc.... The more impressed I am with all of the brilliant modelers who have offered their work for free over the years. That's exactly why I'm working on several different projects to give back to the card modeling community and the modeling community as a whole.

I've also found that building some of the more complicated card models is far more difficult that glueing a couple of parts together.

I really am very impressed with all of those that have proferred these models for years and I hope to continue creating free models and showing others how to work in other media for as long as Zealot will have me.

BTW, I've got a couple of projects in the works that are leading into showing how to use these models to create your own styrene models.
    You might want to check them out.:mrgreen::thumb:

There really is so much talent here and the sky is the limit.

There are a lot of tutorials here and all over the net. Perhaps you might want to attempt to build your own models using Metasequoia and Pepakura, or one of the other myriad CG modeling programs.:mrgreen:
  13. Revell-Fan

To treker: Thank you very much! I was (and still am) amazed at the detail that went into the model. Trent did a marvelous job. :wave:

To MTK: you are right, it is possible to take the unfolded pattern, trace it onto some sheets of styrene and shape and glue it together to get a model made of plastic. Take a look at this thread: armour
    Red made his Cylon armour from metal; it looks fantastic. :thumb:
  14. F131

F131 Member

Looks fantastic!
  15. Peter_D

Peter_D New Member

Like it...another BSG ship
  16. KainHarrison

KainHarrison New Member

Sweet, that looks like a BSG ship alright.
  17. kanohidragon

kanohidragon New Member

So, how about the project of build the Colonial Fleet? In one scale. It may looks great. Pegasus, Galactica, Valkyrie, Berserk. And other.
  18. Revell-Fan

Great Idea. If I only had enough space for that... :wave: