Berkshire plastic model kit - No instructions

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by tootall, Jan 6, 2008.

1. tootall

tootall New Member

Hello all,

I'm not sure what I have here, but from the box, (which may or may not be the original), I think I have a HObbyline Hobbykit from John A English & Co.

I picked it up at a train show a while back, and it includes 2 locos and one tender, in 3 different boxes. Two of the boxes are obviously not correct, but one has a picture of a Berkshire on the edge. However, on the end flap, it states it contains a Dow tank car, but is felt-penned over with Berkshire.

Anyway, there are no instructions with it, so I cannot build the thing.
    Does anyone here know where I can get instructions? Maybe email me a scan if possible?

Thanks in advance
  2. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

A set of instructions are posted on the HOSEEKER site. Look under steam diagrams.
    Literature Page 19
  3. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

Nice link Ray thanks
  4. tootall

tootall New Member

Less than one day, and I have an answer.
    My young son is standing beside me, just vibrating with excitement
    Thank you, Ray.

TooTall Dean
  5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

English/HObbyline was one of the early plastic kit lines. In fact, one of my first HO kits was their Dockside 0-4-0T. They date back to at least the mid-late 50s.
    The car kits were about $.98; I think the Berkshire may have been as much as $2.29.
  6. tootall

tootall New Member

The list here mentions a whopping $1.98

I'm just getting started on it. The instructions are a bit of a jumble, but I'll sort it out.

7. HOseeker

HOseeker New Member

TooTall the picture you displayed here of the Berkshire diagram should be larger then this.

After you load the picture of the Berkshire you should be able to enlarge this picture by either clicking on the picture or a little arrow box on the bottom right of the picture.

8. tootall

tootall New Member

Hi Larry,

Yes, the view I am building from is quite a bit larger. I saved it to MyPictures, where I can enlarge it as necessary. The photo above is sized to fit a webpage.

The model contains many, many tiny parts and they have been previously removed from the sprue, so I have to sift through the box to find anything.
    Its coming along though, thanks to your instructions!

I'll post a photo when it is finished.
  9. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Can I suggest that you replace the wheels in the trucks with sumething that has a solid axle? Unless you make it a pure display model, the axles tend to let you down in the middle and you can't get the trucks apart.
  10. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

Glad I could help Dean.
    Larry has a great site with lots of interesting info and in my opinion is a great asset to HO modelers.
    I have a pair of Hobbyline Berkshires that I bought at a trainshow. One was being motorized and the other was unbuilt in the original box.
    I worked on the one that was to be motorized a little bit then put it on the shelf while I hunted down some of the missing parts. I have most all that I need except for the siderods and valve gear which I may have to make.

Attached Files: