Berg- Aviatik d.II

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by dfarrell, Jan 26, 2007.

1. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

Here is a picture of my latest project, the Berg-Aviatik d.II from Marek. This is one of my first builds with formers, (prior to this it has been all F.G. type stuff) and I look forward to doing some more like this. Maybe I'll figure out that darn pfalz d.XII that I started a while back and finish it now.

Attached Files:

2. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Nice job! You may find some help on formers in the Tips and techniques forum. Marek uses the butt join method for the fuselage. Other publishers use formers with join strips. Both work fine, but many prefer the join strip method and adapt it to models that have the butt join. Either way, you've opened yourself up to a much larger world of modeling. I'd recommend some of the models published by PMI next (such as the P-47 Razorback) as they are in 1:33 scale and easy to build. They are not as detailed as many of the other manufacturers, but they are still impressive, and you can always add more detail if you wish.
  3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looks good! As RMKS posted PMI kits are great starters, as are Nobi and Kanchos "easy" builds. some of MArek's downloadable kits from DeWayne in 1/50 are easy also. Have fun, build more, and please post more pictures!
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

but some of mareks are tough! - nice looking build though - love the lozenges.
  5. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

Thanks for the tips on future projects. I have bought a few kits from GPM and Orlik but I am a bit intimedated by the number of parts. I think the next one I am going to try will be the Albatros D.V by Modelik, as I am very fascinated with airplanes from the first world war, and at just 2 pages of parts at 1:33 scale, it looks like I can handle it. The motor however, looks like it will push my skills.
  6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Pushing skills is how you learn. It's easier with a download kit because you can rewind those mistakes, and try again. Any problems you may have can be refered here to the suppository, er repository of all card model knowledge!
  7. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

Thanks to some help from rickstef, I was able to reduce the size of the pictuer and repost it. Now I just need to figure out how to take a clearer picture. . .
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Some photography tips - this is super quick but the practice is sound. Maybe I will try to write a tutorial on it later (I am not a pro by any stretch - this is just what I have learned on my own from taking pics of stuff to sell on eBay)

Try to get enough light so the flash on your camera does not go off. Its best if some (if not all - when possible) of the light is natural sunlight. The light from the flash, incandescent bulbs, fluorescent bulbs and halogen bulbs etc etc all have throw different types of light and it will make your model look different colors. Natural sunlight will give the truest representation because its the real thing. If you are good with your camera you can adjust it for different types of light.

When taking your pics, take them in both macro mode and regular mode. They can look significantly different. If your pics turn out consistently fuzzy then likely you are too far away in macro mode or too close in regular mode. Adjust as needed. Keep in mind most cameras nowadays have such high resolution that if the pic is a little far away when you see it in the viewfinder that you can still crop it out and have plenty of overall detail (this might not work for showing closeups of particular areas) Also the flash WILL typically wreck your macro shots. It will overpower the model and wash out the colors. You can try though.....

Try to get a fairly bland background for the picture. Your camera will try to auto focus on your plane and if there is more contrast in the fore or background it will focus on that rather than your model (I suspect that's what happened to your pic dfarrell but its hard to tell) If it does not focus where you need it, try a different angle or move the camera to the side a bit and focus - if it focuses where you need it you can move the camera back to the original spot as long as you dont change your distance from the focused area. Having a bland(ish) background will help people focus on your intended subject as well. (one caveat - I like pics that show peoples work areas too so overall shots are always welcome as well!)

Take lots of pictures and choose the best ones. Practice makes perfect and each camera is different. Billybobs camera might take excellent photos under fluorescent light but bad ones under incandescent. Johnboys camera might be the opposite.

Anyway, I ramble - hope that helps!
    p.s. I am sure I missed something. I thought someone made a decent tutorial for picture taking in one of their build threads but to heck if I can find it now. If anyone does know of it (or one off-site) let me know and I will try to get it in the reserves.

p.s. I looked at your photo again and see how clear the items in the background are? Your autofocus went awry!

Another item to note! Your light source is coming from behind casting a shadow on the front of your plane. You want your light source preferably coming from above and behind you (but not casting your shadow in the picture)
  9. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

Thanks for the photography hints. They will help. I really haven't had a lot of experence in photography, and it seems that getting a clear, close-up picture of a small object is much more difficult than taking a picture of the kids running around the park. I will keep playing with it though, and sooner or later I'll get some better results.
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

To fix your problem with the backgrounf focus - two things First block out the background somehow. Second Put something in the picture with clear lines at the same focal range as your intended center of focus (the cardmodel cubes are great for this!)
  11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Dfarrell, believe me it does get better and easier, my first model pics were the worst. Just play around with your camera, takes lots of shots in the differant modes, trying to remember what setting you have of course, and just stick to that setting when you've dialed it in. I have a canon powershot a80, it works best for closeups in Portrait mode, flash off and macrolense on. Chris is right, you need as much light as you can get with little busy stuff in the backround. The halogen and florescent on my work bench tends to turn greys into pinks when it's dark outside. With a little practice it'll come, that way we can see more of your builds!
  12. Nalla

Nalla New Member

Nice model dfarrell, keep it up M8. :)
  13. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

A better picture . . (I hope)

Well, I've tried to absorb as much photography advice as possible, and here is what I came up with. At least you can see the radiator cap, which I think is the best part. It would equally be at home on a '56 buick!

Attached Files:

14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Better! I really like the subjects of the planes you are modeling. Thanks!

Still have some focus issues. What kind of camera are you using? Move in closer so the plane fills the entire frame (or nearly so) It almost looks like you are inside the minimum distance for a regular photo. Try using macro mode. If that doesnt work you defintely need to get in closer and use macro mode or move out and use regular mode.

Just for giggles (if you have time) take a picture of someone at the same distance as you are trying to photo your plane and see if it comes out blurry. It looks like your camera *might* be having trouble finding enough distinction on the model itself to get the right focal point. A persons face has nice delineation so that would help narrow that out. Anyway if my advice bugs ya just tell me to hush.

Oh yeah! Build a cardmodels cube and put it in the pic right next to the plane - those things are awesome at helping the camera focus in the right area. Use one of the ones that has solid squares of white with blue/red.
  15. Clashster

Clashster Member

What we can see looks great! Let's hope the focus problem gets cleared up, 'cause I wanna see that radiator cap! Great job!

16. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

I don't mind the photography pointers at all. I am using a pretty cheap digital camera. It cost a mere $45.00 at the Office Depot a few years back. I don't have anything called a macro mode on it. Would that be the same as adjusting the image size? Right now it is set on 640 x 480. The closer I get to the model, the worse the image gets. If I get back further, I can get a sharper picture,but then I am too far away to show much deatail. I am begining to think that the camera just isn't able to take close up pictures. I still have a few combinations of things to try, so I'll keep playing with it as time permits.
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

If you dont have macro mode (the little flower symbol usually) you are most likely indeed correct. Especially if you notice the closer you get the worse the pics are. Some older cameras have closest picture allowance measured in up to 10 feet...... depends on the camera but that most likely is your problem - would explain the background coming in focus on your earlier shots because it tried to find the nearest thing to focus on inside its range.
  18. RAleischman

RAleischman New Member

Thanks for the photography information. I have the same problems. A tutorial is a great idea.

19. barry

barry Active Member

Picture size

I am no expert but this cropped and auto adjusted in Photoshop hope you don't mind

Attached Files:

20. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

Nope. I don't mind at all