Bending glued pieces ok?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by andrew ferguson, Nov 18, 2005.

  1. I'm going to have several instances in my model building where i'm going to need to glue two flat pieces of paper together and then, once the glue is dry bend the now joined pieces permanently, either at sharp angles or in curves (like an aircraft's fuselage).

    My question is: over time is there any danger that the glue will let go and the two pieces that were glued together will seperate?

    What i'm doing is enlarge photcopying existing paper model kits and then gluing the photocopy to thin bristol board, to give it the necessary stiffness. These will then become my parts from which i will build the model. Printing onto cardstock on a computer printer is not an option for several reasons. For one thing i want thicker stock than most printers can handle and i want to make larger sized pieces than a printer can handle.

    My concern is that over time the glue may let go in places, due to the bends and folds i have put in it by building the model and the paper will come loose from the bristol board. Is this a ligitimate concern or is the glue likely to hold permanently?

    Thanks all!
  2. rickstef

    rickstef Guest

    try wetting the board with a water sprayer, before you form it, once it is dry it should hold its shape

    a fine mist is all that is needed

  3. lizzienewell

    lizzienewell Member

    It should work as long as you avoid using Superglue. Superglue is brittle and so when you bend it tends to come loose. Try a glue that's flexible when cured. I'm not sure which is the best. Barge cement is probably the most flexible but I'm not sure if it will dry out and crack over time and I haven't used it on paper. I would think white glue would work.

  4. Jim Nunn

    Jim Nunn Member

    t is very common to use 1 and some times 2 mm card stock in Armor models. I make my own 1 and 2 mm card stock by laminating several layers of 67 and 110 lb paper using 3M 77 spray glue. I also use the 3M glue to glue the parts to the heavy card stock. I am looking at the turret of a Tiger I made with 1mm stock and that was shaped into a 3 ½ in circle. The paper has not de-laminated and the model is about 5 years old.

    With heavy laminated stock the paper will sometimes de-laminate between the glue joints when forming curves. When this happens I have no cure other then remaking the part. I think this occurs because in the process of making paper the outer surfaces are compressed to form the smooth surface and the center is less dense then the surfaces of the paper, but that’s just a guess. As for angles on the valley side of the part I will cut a very shallow V in to the card stock at the crease. This will give you a nice sharp angle and you can apply glue in to the cut to hold the shape.

    I have models that were build decades ago with good old Elmer’s and they haven’t fallen apart.

    Jim Nunn
  5. Hi,
    There's one 'trick' I sometimes use when bending/deforming glued layers of paper. I place the layered piece between a couple (5 or so) of loose sheets of ordinary 80grs printing paper, and then roll this sandwich *carefully* around some round form, like a piece of pipe, broomstick, glass bottle, whatever is available or fits my needs. When you do this carefully and steady, 'give the paper time to settle' so to speak, then it hardly ever fails.
    Hope this helps.

  6. nebeltex

    nebeltex Member

    bending technique?

    ...i'd follow norm on the yankee workshop.... when possible, glue pieces together, bend and brace while the glue is wet. while paper does not have the "memory" actual wood or fibreglass has, you will get better results, especially in a humid clime.
  7. Gil

    Gil Active Member

    Use 3M 77 spray. It has enough flexibility when dry to allow folding and bending without debonding.

  8. I live in Ontario, Canada. Can someone suggest where i can find 3m 77 spray glue?
  9. silverw

    silverw Member

  10. Jim Nunn

    Jim Nunn Member

    3m 77 spray glue can be found at most craft stores, some art supply stores and Home Depot has it in the paint/ glue section.

    It is basically spray contact cement.

    Jim Nunn

Share This Page