Benchwork is finally up!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Agatheron, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Agatheron

Agatheron Member

Well, some three years after having been re-bitten by the model-railroading bug, I finally managed to get some benchwork up. My wife, daughter and I live in a townhouse condominium, so space is a premium, and I also suffer from a distinct lack of powertools. The only item I have is a power drill/driver.

As such, I developed the idea of using Ikea's GORM shelving line... a secondary storage system that is a lot more stable than the more well-known Ivar line. Each shelf can apparently support up to 100lbs. Hopefully my layout won't be that heavy :p

Here's a pic:

I've already purchased the pink styrofoam to put down on the top of the shelf, and as you can see I have storage below, which is a real plus. Since this picture was taken I've made a bit more progress in putting the foam down.

Since this is my first layout, I am planning on using Kato's Unitrack for much of it, but I may try my hand at laying some flextrack as it permits. My intent is to have a 5 track staging yard across the back, hidden by scenery at the front. As for the rest of the plan, I have some general ideas, but it's flexible. The overall theme is the junction point between the CN Springhill Subdivision, and the Cape Breton & Central Nova Scotia shortline. The junction is in Truro, but because of certain space limitations (113"x72" L-Shape) I will be taking a number of liberties with the prototype, but the scenery will certainly be reminiscent of the maritime landscape.

2. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Member

Those Ikeans really know how to provide support for small space railroading!

I like the idea and the concept for the line as well... as far as taking liberties, refer to Rule #1. (It's your railroad.)

Great start. Please keep us posted!
  3. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

Hats off... ya!

Now, let's get real serious and run trains- even if it's 2" this way<--- and 36" that a way--->.

I do.

(P.S. to Self- get inch to cm calculator to speak intelligently to the metric encumbered)
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Hi agatheon. Glad to see you're finally getting to work. Are you coming to the train show this weekend? Hamilton layout tours on Saturday?
  5. Agatheron

Agatheron Member

Whoa... I guess I've been out of the loop for a while! When's the train show? I have another commitment on Saturday in Stratford, but I'd like to get out to a train show if at all possible.

Let me dig around and see if I can find the event before you tell me what it is! :p

Edit: Just found it. Since I live really close to Pearson, I will do my best to be there on Sunday after I'm finished with my morning service...