Benchwork is finally up!

Agatheron

Nov 8, 2003
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Well, some three years after having been re-bitten by the model-railroading bug, I finally managed to get some benchwork up. My wife, daughter and I live in a townhouse condominium, so space is a premium, and I also suffer from a distinct lack of powertools. The only item I have is a power drill/driver.

As such, I developed the idea of using Ikea's GORM shelving line... a secondary storage system that is a lot more stable than the more well-known Ivar line. Each shelf can apparently support up to 100lbs. Hopefully my layout won't be that heavy :p

Here's a pic:
bench2.jpg

I've already purchased the pink styrofoam to put down on the top of the shelf, and as you can see I have storage below, which is a real plus. Since this picture was taken I've made a bit more progress in putting the foam down.

Since this is my first layout, I am planning on using Kato's Unitrack for much of it, but I may try my hand at laying some flextrack as it permits. My intent is to have a 5 track staging yard across the back, hidden by scenery at the front. As for the rest of the plan, I have some general ideas, but it's flexible. The overall theme is the junction point between the CN Springhill Subdivision, and the Cape Breton & Central Nova Scotia shortline. The junction is in Truro, but because of certain space limitations (113"x72" L-Shape) I will be taking a number of liberties with the prototype, but the scenery will certainly be reminiscent of the maritime landscape.

Feedback?

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
Those Ikeans really know how to provide support for small space railroading!

I like the idea and the concept for the line as well... as far as taking liberties, refer to Rule #1. (It's your railroad.)

Great start. Please keep us posted!

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Hats off...

...to ya!

Now, let's get real serious and run trains- even if it's 2" this way<--- and 36" that a way--->.

I do.

Mark

(P.S. to Self- get inch to cm calculator to speak intelligently to the metric encumbered)

Agatheron

Nov 8, 2003
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Whoa... I guess I've been out of the loop for a while! When's the train show? I have another commitment on Saturday in Stratford, but I'd like to get out to a train show if at all possible.

Let me dig around and see if I can find the event before you tell me what it is! :p

Edit: Just found it. Since I live really close to Pearson, I will do my best to be there on Sunday after I'm finished with my morning service...