benchwork help

Kevinkrey

Well, this is very hard to explain, but I need to create the benchwork for and connecting to my ore dock. The track needs to go up 2 inches for four feet, then flatten out. The ground profile will rise with the track and then a steep hill down 8 inches, how should I create someting to support this? I hope that made sence, I am in dire need for help on this.​

Kevinkrey

I have made a few atempts. These pics show where the ore dock will be looking from the layout. It will run along the wall at the height of the shelf on the walls end.

Attachments

• DSCN1142.JPG
    DSCN1142.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN1144.JPG
    DSCN1144.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN1145.JPG
    DSCN1145.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 6

eve_9d9

are you just trying to build benchwork with the gradual incline you described? why not build the benchwork flat, and use foam the create the incline? if you want to do it in wood, take a couple 1x6's turn them up on edge and jigsaw the incline out of them then wrap the top in something that will flex....maybe 1/8 tempered hardboard....not sure if I have the right idea in mind of what youre trying to do though.....maybe you could draw it out for us?

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Hi Kevin,

Just hoping to clarify....so the step-like bench work going downward represents where supports for a trestle to the ore dock are going to be placed...right? And the ore dock itself will be along that short wall leading to the corner?

Ralph

Kevinkrey

I think I figured out how to salvage what I already have. Eve, you do have the right idea, but the benchwork under the ore dock will be 8-10" lower than the rest, and if the incline piece was flat there would be a sudden drop of 8-10" in the two pieces of benchwork, making them hard to connect. I think I have it figured out though. The best way to describe the situation is the ground goes uphill for the track, while the surroundings head down to the water level.

Kevinkrey

Hi Kevin,

Just hoping to clarify....so the step-like bench work going downward represents where supports for a trestle to the ore dock are going to be placed...right? And the ore dock itself will be along that short wall leading to the corner?

Ralph

Yes, the steps are down to the water level so the ore dock can be 10" tall without the trains needing to climb 10" The train will climb 2" but instead of trestles, there will be a hill that the track sits on, wait till its done, youll see.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Before you build, here's a thought. What if you dropped "sea level" a little lower and kept the grade of the track level to avoid the incline...unless you are hoping to model a prototypic scene you've observed or something. My memory of the dock at Two Harbors, MN (from the tourist parking lot) :) is of a track coming into the ore dock at a flat grade and not climbing. I do recall an incline on the series of bridges leading up to the big dock in Duluth though. Hmmm....
Ralph

Kevinkrey

Ralph, indeed I am trying to be prototypical, and Two Harbors yard is almost at the same height as the dock, but the dock approach does have a slight incline, probally pretty close to my model of only 2" out of the docks overall 10".