Benchwork design, stifling track plan...

iis612

I have an area that is 14'x15' inside a room that is 18'x17', With 1 exception, the room is without encumbrances. The exception is one corner needs to be cut off for the sake of passing between the layout and a wall.
I am having a hard time figuring out what benchwork design will give me the best use of the space.
The crux of the situation is a yard that I want to include in the track design. It is in the shape of a triangle, and needs to have enough space for steam engine servicing, a large roundhouse and a 90' turntable. I have no idea how to compress this configuration into a workable yard design without using too much space.
I figured that I would turn to the trackplanning gurus.
If anyone has a suggestion, I would be very pleased to hear it.
Thanks,
Matt

iis612

I will try to do a drawing of the available space.

The room, for the most part has only 3 walls. 1 is earmarked for storage, the other has a low window and the breaker panel, rendering it off limits.

I will whip something up with Paint, but it won't be pretty.
Will post it in a minute or 10.

Thanks,
Matt

iis612

Attached is a rough representation of the room, done with Paint, and a prototype photo of the yard I am hoping to compress.

The photo of the yard was taken in 2005, 58 years after my intended era. Along the left side, most of that did not exist. What did exist was for passenger service, as the Potter St station was there just a little south of the roundhouse, and the "shed" passenger loading area. was on the west side of the station.

The station looked nearly identical to the soon to be released walther's Milwakee style station. There was maybe 8 tracks including 3 inside the shed, the balance was for coach storage.

Attachments

• room.jpg
    room.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 18
  • CSXSaginawYard2005-2[DanMeinhard].jpg
    CSXSaginawYard2005-2[DanMeinhard].jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 137

Nomad

I guess, but those popup's make my back hurt just looking at them.
Is this in a basement or the like? Would the window need to be a fire escape?

Loren

iis612

It is in a basement, so the window does not need to be a fire escape route as there is another window on the opposite side of the basement.

Nomad

Ok, so you could build 24 to 30" tables against three walls and a center peninsula. What will hurt will be that helix. It would take 4 to 6' square just for that.

Loren