Bell XV - 3

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Billy Leliveld, Apr 3, 2007.

1. barry

barry Active Member

Well that sets a new standard in aircraft display I guess there will now be a run on the world's magnet supplies.
  2. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Brilliant idea and execution. Can't wait to show my colleagues at Bell tomorrow.
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Billy.............. my wife says "Wow! That is too cool!"

ummmm.......... I don't think I can say it any better my self!

Congratulations on the successful execution of your idea!

Rob's jeep is the "bees knees!"............ ain't it! Wait until you see all the versions Guido has come up with!

4. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

Great Levitation Concept and Nice Build!

You have established a whole new paradigm in the scale model hobby community!

Congratulations Billy!

5. Thanks for all the nice comments! , but I could not have done this without Kampflieger and Rob's designs..
    Here's a daylight picture, If can I'll post a quicktime movie on U-tube, it's very funny how it hoovers, but I have to figure that one out, never done it, but that's what this build was about..
  6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Moving Aircraft Diorama

This is great - you have achieved something completely new; a MOVING diorama. Without batteries or electricity.

It´s really innovative,
    Bengt :D
  7. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Beautiful job! Diorama's really complement a great build, especially when they 'suspend' belief.:wink:

I tried to make my plane hover like yours years ago, but I didn't use the stabilizing wires, and of course the plane wouldn't stay in place. Also, I believe it was Revell that did a similar hover thing a year or two ago with their plastic kits. They are probably still available in some hobby shops. Might be useful for the magnets.
  8. Yeah, your right rmks2000, as I said in the beguining of this thread, 'I was inspired by those Revell-kits', I sort of knew that it could be done..
    The good thing about papermodels is that they're much lighter and the magnet can hold up a bigger plane,
    But the method is the same , altough it took some time to figure it out;
    @ Yaniv;
    The small, but strong magnet has to be glued down in the plane very good, with super-glue, In the centre at the bottom. The 3 fishwires come more or less from one piont above the centre of the big magnet (about 3 inch diameter),the holes for the wire are not more than half an inch apart, but in the same shape , like a even-legged triangle, it also defines the way the plane is pointing, its more like you fly a kite, than putting up a tent..
    The plane is not more than 2 inches off the ground and the wires come from the wingtips (at the centre of balance) and the tail
    The wires from the wingtips must be exactly the same lenght, so the plane will be straight, only a millimeter difference will tip it over
    I constructed the backgound in such a way that it could freely move over the bottom part, to fine-tune the whole thing..once I found the right "flying spot" I locked it with a pin.
    The tuning is very difficult, only 1 mm the wrong side, it will tip it over, but as said earlier on " We don't have problems, only challenges"
    Then when you put the thing on a different spot, like my showcase, you can start all over again...:razz:
    I found it next morning, crashed, because the force on the wings had bent them, now I used super-glue to keep them in place..
    But he no pain, no gain, and Do try this at home!:twisted:
    Cheers, Billy
  9. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Wow!!! That's really cool!! And I can't see any wires in the pic, even after you explaining where to look.
  10. Here's a closeup
  11. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Holy crow! That's a teeny wire, huh??? I want to be as good as you when I grow up... :D
  12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Billy.......... The video is great. Wish you could have put something in it to turn the rotors, your illusion would have been complete......... I guess there always has to be a party pooper! Sorry.

You really did a cool thing! Taking a picture and completeing a WORKING diorama from it is amazing.

13. Nice idea, but it would be as unstable and vibrating as the real thing :grin:
    Cheers Billy
  14. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Use the Fiddler's Green trick/item for spinning rotor/props, a prop/rotor disk made of clear film/transparency/overhead film

15. Now that's what I call een goed idee..
  16. josve

josve Active Member

Thats pretty amazing Billy!!
  17. 46rob

46rob Member

You are truly an amazing modeler. You're welcome to any and all of my betas--should I ever finish another to that point. (designer's block?)
  18. This morning the XV 3 'landed' again, the scotch-tape didn't hold the wires, so its up again, but the wires are locked with super-glue..
    Cheers, Billy
  19. There was still a empty spot , I found Rob's service-vehicle in the parts-bin and put it in..