Bell XV - 3

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Billy Leliveld, Apr 3, 2007.

1. I'm starting a new build, Kampflieger's XV 3, but with a twist, I will make a little diorama of it..

Attached Files:

2. I found this picture on the internet, and I'm going to re-created it

Attached Files:

3. I'm using the picture as a background, so I deleted the XV-3

Attached Files:

4. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Nice topic!
  5. Not so fast, I will try something new, I have to admit I was inspired by a display from Revell ( you know the guys who are making the P stuff...)
    So I will try to make this work on this , to build a magnet into the plane, and hide the other ,so the XP-3 will actualy hoover over the diorama, it looks like this;

Attached Files:

6. In the background there's a red jeep, and i wanted to do something in the foreground, so I asked for a 1:50 scale jeep, it came within a few minutes, Rob Carleen send me his beta-version, I'm very pround that I can include this, thanks Rob..
    Cheers Billy
  7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Very cool idea for a diorama, Billy! I think this is going to be a very nice display piece!8)

I too, have thought about using magnets to "float" a model and it brings a couple of problems to mind.
    First you need magnets that are strong enough to not only lift the model but to separate the two
    with enough distance to make the effect noticeable and worth going through the trouble.

The problem is, the stronger the magnet you use, the more the effect of the following, will be increased.
    Magnets, when faced together at the same poles, have a tendency to flip over to the attractive, opposite sides.
    A strong glue can fix that....right?
    The flipping force of the magnet in the helicopter will most likely cause the model to slide along the outer area
    of the magnetism field and gravity helps it crash to the Earth.
    Glue can hold the magnets in place to keep them from flipping but, something is needed to hold the model in place,
    thus loosing the "floating by itself" effect.

I'm not saying it can't be done. This is a challenging project and I would love to see you pull it off, successfully.
    No matter how you decide to approach your project, I know for a fact, this will be a fantastic diorama, done Billy style!

Looking forward to your progress, Billy!:-D

8. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

I can't wait to see your how your experiment in magnetism works out - truly wierd science
  9. Well, I can see some problems with the 'calibration' I'll have to use the thinnest fishwire to keep it in place, the magnet in the plane has to be locked, and in the right place, and the distance it floates from the bottom can't be much more than an inch or two,The big magnet under the whole thing has to be movable to fine-tune, but if it doesn't work out I 'll still have a nice diorama, "Just before take-off"
    Cheers, Billy
  10. Yo Carl,
    We don't have problems, only chalenges..:twisted:
    Wish I 've seen this thing for real,I realy like those Xplanes, sometimes they are so weird...
    cheers, Billy
  11. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hello Billy,

Greetings from Texas. I started working for Bell Helicopter in August. One of the first things my nice manager did was give me a tour of our plant. We happened to run into the restoration crew putting the finishing touches on the XV-3 in the corner of one of the assembly buildings. She is a real beauty...absolutely pristine. She's now being stored in the Bell Showroom at Fort Worth - Alliance Airport. I don't know what the plans are for her, but now that I'm working on the V-22, it's really a privilege to see the original prototype from 50 years ago.

Good Luck with your build.
  12. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I have faith in you Billy, I know you can do this.
    I love dioramas, can't wait to see it!
  13. I found this picture, looking good for a (like me) 52 year old...
    This must be the one at your place Steve...
    Cheers, Billy

Attached Files:

14. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

i need 1 like this on my roof :)
  15. You must have a nice big flat roof than, Yaniv:grin:
    I glued the background picture on grey coloured paper and 'extended'
    the concrete plates, I had to figure out a perspective somewhere between real and an 'anamorph', but sofar it looks alright, used dry pigment to age it
    Cheers, Billy

Attached Files:

16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Bell XV-3 Technical Diorama

A wonderful idea, Billy!

As you so eloquently put it "We don´t have problems, only challenges.." - how very true. That´s the modeling activity in a nutshell, at least for me.

I look forward to seeing more of this amazing project - keep it coming, when you have the time!

Bengt :smile:
  17. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

As for floating, why not make the display "L" shaped? Then you could run something like small guage piano wire to the "back" of the model to help it fly...
  18. Thats exactly what I'm planning to do..
    Cheers Billy
  19. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

OK, my mind was still locked into making the magnet thing work...
  20. This what the display looks like, used the little trick with the round horizon, so there no hard edge or shadow..Used black foamboard

Attached Files: