Bell BoMi Model

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by SAustin16, Nov 14, 2007.

1. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hello to All,

I need some help with an ALMOST Real Space project.

I've designed a model of the Bell BoMi (Bomber-Missile) in Lightwave. I'm looking for a volunteer with Pepakura skills (and time) to manipulate the Lightwave file into a decent paper model. I've tried a number of times to do it myself, but I simply can't get the hang of it to do a good job. The model is relatively simple, but always breaks up into unmanageable pieces that would really confuse model builders.wall1

Once it's processed in Pepakura, I can then take a stab at coloring the flattened design.

I would like to contribute the completed model file to Jon Leslie's Lower Hudson site (if he'll take it), as his site and models have been very inspirational to me. I'll of course share credit with anyone who helps with this.

The BoMi was a mid-1950's design for a military "atmospheric skipper", which led to the Boeing X-20 DynaSoar. BoMi was to be launched by a booster very similar to the Titan 3C. Bell was at the forefront of aerospace until Larry Bell passed away in 1956, having flown the X-1 and X-2 into history. The BoMi can be considered a "should have been", had Larry Bell lived longer. Bell had been commercializing the helicopter, and that is the sector of the company that survives today as Bell Helicopter - Textron.

Any takers can PM me, and I'll send the Lightwave file via E-mail.

Steve Austin
  2. I wish I could help. But I like you lack the skills. Good luck getting help on this. I tried to get some help on a project for an OP-2E model. I got no interest at all. Perhaps this model will inpire someone. I checked it out this was a very interesting uh---aircraft.
  3. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hello Real Space modellers,

I've received an offer of help from one of our own, and I've just e-mailed the file. We'll see how things turn out.

Once we get it turned into a 1/96 model in Pepakura, get it colored, and I create some basic instructions, maybe some of you will be willing to take a stab at beta building.

Many thanks to my co-designer.
  4. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

i would be happy to test it for ya SAustin16. have you made any headway on it?
  5. mvink

mvink Member

Me too, I'll help however I can. Do you need instructions?
  6. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay. Had family here all Thanksgiving week.

MANY THANKS to Nothing for cleaning up the model for Pepakura. I haven't had a chance yet to make any progress, but hopefully will this weekend.

As soon as it's done, I'll PM both of you and E-mail the file for you to play with.

I really appreciate your offers of help.

Steve Austin
  7. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

steve, as much as i would like to be able to take credit, i was just a facilitater, sjsquirrel gets he credit for fixing the mesh.
  8. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Nothing and SJSquirrel,

A public "Thank You" to BOTH of you for your efforts.

Sorry for the delay, but for some reason, the Reply function wouldn't accept my inputs.

I was working on the Pepakura yesterday and made some headway, thanks to your work on improving the model. I'll keep working, and send you the file when I'm done. After beta testing, we'll play with coloring it.

Thanks again,