Belaz Dump Truck Build Thread

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by Cut 'n' Paste, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

I'm in the process of building the Belaz Dump Truck, from , and as the instructions are in Czech, and there's just one diagram, I thought I'd show how I did it.

First, the chassis: in two parts. Make sure to open up a hole for the rear axle before cutting out the rear part!:

01.JPG 02.jpg

Fit the axle and the dump hinge.

The front wheels are supposed to have steering. Carefully fold up the hinge parts and attach the axle boxes (again - open up axle holes first!)

Glue the hinges/axle boxes in place (there's an oblong marked)
    04b.jpg 04c.jpg

Next up: cab plate....
  2. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

.... cont'd

The cab plate has to be perfectly flat. As coloured card is somehow less strong than the equivalent weight white card, I reinforced it:

While that's drying, make up the cab. The first time I did this I tried glazing the windows, but that was a mistake, as when they were cut out, there wasn't enough frame left to bend and stick. This time, I printed out a spare sheet on paper and coloured the windows, cut them out and stuck them on the yellow card cab:

06.jpg 07.jpg

Fold up the cab and the part that goes on the other side of the plate, ready to be attached.

Fold up and laminate the cab-plate supports and stick each in the correct place:

Next: attaching he cab plate.
  3. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

... and more.....

Make sure the cab plate is square on the chassis, and flat & level.

Part C is the steering bar - bent up out of wire as per the pattern and attached to the steering boxes:

12.JPG 13.jpg

Fit the parts onto the cab plate.

14.JPG 15.JPG

Next: Front bumper.
  4. Tim Crowe

Tim Crowe Member

Looking good - I like how you've done the windows

5. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

... more....

I used a silver pen to colour the headlights on the front bumper:

It's not clear how it's supposed to fold up, so here is how it looks:

17.JPG 18.JPG

Attach as shown:

Next: The dumper...
  6. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

... and more....

The dumper part is in two sections - inside and out. To fold up the outer part, first....

Similarly, fold up and attach the lining - dry-fitting first to make sure it's a snug fit with no overlap. Keep the bottom of the assembly pressed down flat all the time.

Add the outer ribs - noting that they extend below the assembly.

When dry, attach the assembly to the hinge.

With the addition of the ladders, the body is complete.

Tomorrow: The wheels!
  7. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Interesting model, and nice window technique! I like how the designer handled the steering hinge on the axel boxes.

I wish cardstock trucks were more popular, the range of potential subjects is so vast. Thanks for "taking us along for the ride". :)
  8. modelperry

modelperry Member

This is very interesting. I will continue to follow this thread.

9. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

Back again.

The outer faces of the wheels are tricky. They are supposed to be dished outwards, which requires a scored circle! Not the easiest of things to do, so I used a circle cutter to gently score the circle. Luckily, the designer marked the centres! Wish all designers did that!:

Cut out the centres (I also used the circle cutter for this - but it's not that accurate if you press on, so it's a case of gentle strokes until the disk parts) Retain the cut-out disks to use as spacers later if needed.:

Cut out and join the tyre face:

... then push the centre section inwards.

Cut out all the rest of the wheel parts, remembering again to open out the axle holes first:

Wow! All those triangular tabs nearly sent me to sleep!

More later.
  10. modelperry

modelperry Member

possible suggestion on dealing with those triangular tabs on the treads:

Use your side walls as templates to make some cardboard discs to put inside your tires. then you have a surface to glue the treads to without the need for the tabs. Look at my Modelik Man box truck thread for more details.

11. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

Good Idea! I'll try that in future (too late now!)
  12. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

Nearly done.....

Use a rod, pressed down on the reverse side of the tyre face, against a thin rubber/foam mat, and draw it along the card to make a cylinder:

I cut off the joiner tabs and added paper ones on the inside to make a less visible seam (with hindsight, I ought to have done that with the sidewalls....)

Stick the inner sidewalls (part 24) to the tyre treads. Start at one point, using cyano, then use white glue to fix the rest.

33.JPG 34.JPG
  13. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

a bit more...

Laminate the disks 26, 29, 28, 31 and 32 to card to strengthen.

When dry, open up the axle holes and glue parts 26 to the insides of the front tyre walls. Allow to fix thoroughly.

While waiting, form parts 27 and 30 (the rear wheel hub) into cylinders. (Part 27 with printing on the inside)

Sandwich part 27 between the disk 28 and some spare card. When dry, trim the outer additional card.

While waiting for that to dry, go back to the front wheels. Attach the outer sidewalls to the assembled wheel parts 24/25 (TRICKY!!) If you can match up the grey and black tread pattern, go ahead, but I found it difficult enough just to get the parts to stay together!

Back to the rear wheels - attach the outer part of the hub (assembly 27/2) to the tyre side-wall.

14. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

Almost finished - promise!

Glue the front axles into the steering boxes. (In retrospect, I think it would have been better to do this before attaching parts 19 & 20, 21 & 22 to the chassis!)

43.JPG 44.jpg

Rear wheels again - glue the sidewall assembly onto the tyre tread assembly.

Attach the front wheels onto the axles. They're supposed to rotate, held on just by the hub-cap (32), but I could either get them to rotate or to be square-on and I didn't intend to play with it!

Slide the inner and outer rear wheels on the axle and attach the hubs.

And that's the lot!!!
  15. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

And finally-----

It's a tricky model, and my decision to print sheets 1 and 2 onto yellow card was the right one - but remember that coloured card is often more fragile than a similar weight of white card.

I would have done some things in a slightly different order, as I have indicated. I would have done away with the steering boxes in favour of a more sturdy, better-aligned fixed axle. I would not have attached the dumper to the chassis until last, as it's quite flimsily fixed.

Sorry - I said the instructions are in Czech, but it's Russian, really.

The pictures during the build thread are cruelly much bigger than life, and I have yet to colour edges, so forgive slightly tatty looking parts.

When I printed the model out, I found that it came out slightly smaller than the 1-100th stated. It's best to go off the pattern for the axles and steering rod (parts A, B & C) rather than go off the stated dimensions.

Here's the finished thing:

16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That turned out pretty nice! Thanks for sharing :)
  17. modelperry

modelperry Member

Very nice. Good job. :thumb:

18. OldMan

OldMan Member

All the instructions are in Bulgarian language realy, but you build very nice model :thumb: Congratulations! :wave: