Beginners build of Digital Navy's USS Arizona

Bargee61

Feb 15, 2005
Whitstable, Kent, U.K.
Attempt No. 2 has reached the hull plating stage. As you can see from the photos I have completed the middle section and lightly sanded the joins. Much happier with this plating ... still room for improvement though.

That's it for now ... back sometime soon ...

Mike

Leif Oh

Jan 27, 2004
Goteborg, Sweden
Mike, if you want a matt or semi-matt finish from your polyurethane, I recommend thinning it with ca 15 percent aceton (or possibly even more; experiment with the percentage!). Makes it easier to paint thin & smooth coats, too.

I tried that with great success making a big RC scale glider once. Used floor paint, no less, for strength. Thinning it with aceton created a most effective semi-matt gloss. Must have made half a dozen coats, sanding them down with wet paper between coats.

Leif

Bargee61

Feb 15, 2005
Whitstable, Kent, U.K.
Well, major disaster I'm afraid. Was sorting out the books on the bookcase next to my work table, and, yep, you've guessed it, dropped most of the stack I was lifting straight on top of the Arizona. :( :(

I had completed the hull plating plus the prop shafts and rudder, ready for painting, so you can guess just how I felt about my own stupidity. The air was blue and the language very foul!! The resultant wreckage was consigned to my neighbours bonfire accompanied by several cans of beer down my throat (and his, my neighbour that is).

Anyway I will not be detered. Another attempt will be started, but it's likely to be some months before I get to the same stage I had reached.

Bye for now .... back sometime soon

Mike

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Mike, I am so sorry. :cry:

I feel your pain, indeed I do.

I'm sure your next attempt will be that much better having gained some experience during this build.

We are all looking forward to your next build, when you are ready.

Take care,
Jim

bfam4t6

Jun 28, 2004
Olathe, Kansas
:(
Sorry Mike. I'm sure that really sucked! I know that I for one am quite pissed to say the least when things like that happen to me. But Jim is probably right, practice makes perfect, so you can only expect the next build to be even better!

Bargee61

Feb 15, 2005
Whitstable, Kent, U.K.
Right, the waits over. CD for the USS Arizona 2004 arrived a couple of days ago, so we are off and running again. (trouble is I have also started GPM's Graf Spee in the interim, couldn't resist it!. Still, could be fun to have tow on the go at once).

Have laminated the basic hull parts to 1mm and no the big cut begins.

That's it for now... back sometime soon.

Mike

Gil

Jan 25, 2004
Northern Bear Flag Republic
Mike, I'm still savouring the kit and lo! away you go! I think you've got a whole lot of us looking in on your build. Best of luck on it and, ah, keep it way from heavy dropping things this time...,

Best regards, Gil

Bargee61

Feb 15, 2005
Whitstable, Kent, U.K.
Sorry it's been so long guys, but other things have been occupying my time. Haven't done that much but have completed the basic hull framework as the pics show. Further progress is liklely to be slow, especially since Santa was very kind - GPM's USS Missouri, GPM's Bismarck, GPM's HMS Prince of Wales and GreMir's HMS Repulse, which I especially like; at last a good size Battle Cruiser. Now if someone would just bring out HMS Hood in 1:200 to complement GPM's Bismarck and Prince of Wales I could just be satisfied - for today. Oh, and how about Prinz Eugen in 1:200 just to complete the quartet. I hope DN, GreMir and GPM are taking note! I know, dream on!

That's it for now ... back sometime soon ....

Mike

Attachments

• Arizona001.jpg
    Arizona001.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 347
  • Arizona002.jpg
    Arizona002.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 283
  • Arizona003.jpg
    Arizona003.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 241
P

Padre

Digital Navy Arizona

I built the Arizona as my first major project in paper. Took three months and many of the smaller parts thrown away. I have only built freebies from the net in the past, have built two wooden sailing ships though. The Arizona turned out fine to me, in a glass case now along with the wooden ships.

If anyone is into designing paper models, how about the USS White River, LSMR 536? http://www.usswhiteriver.com/. That is my site.