Beginner

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Midnight said:
Hmm... ear. LOL, I mean era, I'll probably do either modern or super old trains. Then I could have indians that rob trains, like, hanging off the side of a car or something. BTW, do they have, like, futuristic train sets?

You should pick one before you start buying stuff. For me it is the modern era. I like the huge desiels and modern rail cars. As for the futureistic train sets, I am not aware of anything to that extent.

Midnight said:

@alex: I want as much realism as I can get for the lowest price. When I was little I had a Thomas the Tank Engine train set. I liked that one and I still play with it some when I'm super bored, but I would like one that runs on electricity and looks more realistic.
I'll work on my dad to see if he'll at least move everything to one side. Maybe for Christmas we can do that and get me a starter set.

Thanks,
~Midnight

yeah, i hear you

i say, an Athearn loco, say, a GP9, does everything, and 5 athearn cars, and a caboose, an oval of track, flextrack works good if its on a board, but first time use Atlas Snap Track, or equavalent

what Railroads interest you most? If you want to do them all, in recent years, Railroads are leasing power to each other

MRC make a good power pack, Athearn make good locos and Rollingstock, and Atlas make good track. get some of this stuff, and your on your way

oh yeah, get 22" radius track over 18", or use flextrack if your confortable cutting it

Alex

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Hello Midnight and welcome: I'm an old guy, so maybe you don't want to hear what I have to say. I would suggest getting a couple of the paperback, model railroading books that are available at most hobby shops or online. There are good " how to" books for a few bucks that have chapters on building benchwork, scenery, wiring etc. Also information on various types of layouts and plans for layouts. There are several magazines available also that will give you good basic information. Model Railroader, Railroad Model Craftsman, Model Railroading. Model railroading covers a whole bunch of skills that you will develop as you go along. Everything from carpentry to art work. Have fun Finally, in life "cheap" and "good" don't usually go together.

Midnight said:
Hmm... ear. LOL, I mean era, I'll probably do either modern or super old trains. Then I could have indians that rob trains, like, hanging off the side of a car or something. BTW, do they have, like, futuristic train sets?

G'night, going to bed,
~Midnight

not trying to stifle your enthusiasim, but, modern stuff tends to be expnesive, and real old stuff is hard to find, both are expensive to do

i'd sugguest somthing from 1960 to 1980. both are pretty good

also, Steam Diesel "transition era" is also popular, you can do steam and diesel together

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Midnight: One final comment: It wasn't Indians that robbed most of the trains. Despite what you may have heard or seen on TV. It was the white guys. Jim Krause

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Alex makes a good point, if you want to do modern era and don't want to pay alot for rail cars, then I would suggest going with athearn "blue box" kits. These are rail cars that come in kits and require assembly (it is usally only putting on the trucks to the frame and a couple other small easly done things that can be done in about 10-20 minutes at the most)

Here is the link to Athearn site: http://www.athearn.com/Products/HO/Default.aspx

The kit versions are at the bottom right and the box says Quality kits made in the U.S.A.
There are also engine kits(but they are had to find now) and require a little more work to assemble them.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Yes. F units ran from 1939-1974ish IMO the F unit is a perfect starter locomotive, if only because they pull well (Athearn ones espically!) looks good, and require no addition of handrails! :thumb:

I'm 17, just like Trucklover, and own way too many trains, 36 locomotives and who the hell knows how many cars! :D

To see my layout, which was a good teaching tool and started layout for me, go here!:

http://www.freewebs.com/mileswestern/index.htm

and here!

http://www.freewebs.com/mileswestern/theroster.htm

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
MilesWestern said:
...and own way too many trains...

I'll forgive you younguns this faux paux once...NOBODY owns too many trains in this hobby. We're simply still in the process of aquiring the necessary real estate needs of our empires.:D

Midnight

Oct 15, 2006
SC
tmu.lilting.org
Okay, here's a form I made up off the top of my head just now.
Era: Steam-Diesel Transition
Layout: In one corner of the garage, I'll have a mountain range going up the walls with tracks and tunnels on them. Then, coming down you'll enter a large city. It will be mostly cars and stuff, not trains. I'll have boats in the harbor and an airport.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Welcome aboard!!
Steamers are (generally) two units (that count as one engine...go figure...) a tender that carries water and oil or coal (in back of the locomotive) depending on what the locomotive (which sits in the front) likes to eat... The fuel turns the water into steam which forces itself into a cylinder with pistons in it...and through a very complex set of levers, cranks and whatchamacallits, makes the wheels turn...and off it goes!!! Making a lot of noise and smoke in the process...Gorgeous..!!