Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Midnight, Oct 15, 2006.

1. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

You should pick one before you start buying stuff. For me it is the modern era. I like the huge desiels and modern rail cars. As for the futureistic train sets, I am not aware of anything to that extent.
  2. alexander

alexander Member

yeah, i hear you

i say, an Athearn loco, say, a GP9, does everything, and 5 athearn cars, and a caboose, an oval of track, flextrack works good if its on a board, but first time use Atlas Snap Track, or equavalent

what Railroads interest you most? If you want to do them all, in recent years, Railroads are leasing power to each other

MRC make a good power pack, Athearn make good locos and Rollingstock, and Atlas make good track. get some of this stuff, and your on your way

oh yeah, get 22" radius track over 18", or use flextrack if your confortable cutting it

3. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Hello Midnight and welcome: I'm an old guy, so maybe you don't want to hear what I have to say. I would suggest getting a couple of the paperback, model railroading books that are available at most hobby shops or online. There are good " how to" books for a few bucks that have chapters on building benchwork, scenery, wiring etc. Also information on various types of layouts and plans for layouts. There are several magazines available also that will give you good basic information. Model Railroader, Railroad Model Craftsman, Model Railroading. Model railroading covers a whole bunch of skills that you will develop as you go along. Everything from carpentry to art work. Have fun Finally, in life "cheap" and "good" don't usually go together.
  4. alexander

alexander Member

not trying to stifle your enthusiasim, but, modern stuff tends to be expnesive, and real old stuff is hard to find, both are expensive to do

i'd sugguest somthing from 1960 to 1980. both are pretty good

also, Steam Diesel "transition era" is also popular, you can do steam and diesel together
  5. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Midnight: One final comment: It wasn't Indians that robbed most of the trains. Despite what you may have heard or seen on TV. It was the white guys. Jim Krause
  6. TruckLover

Alex makes a good point, if you want to do modern era and don't want to pay alot for rail cars, then I would suggest going with athearn "blue box" kits. These are rail cars that come in kits and require assembly (it is usally only putting on the trucks to the frame and a couple other small easly done things that can be done in about 10-20 minutes at the most)

Here is the link to Athearn site:

The kit versions are at the bottom right and the box says Quality kits made in the U.S.A.
    There are also engine kits(but they are had to find now) and require a little more work to assemble them.
  7. alexander

alexander Member

from what i've heard, the Locomotive kits are just snappingh the shells on, and, some extra details too
  8. TruckLover

Ya pretty much. I think that the hardest part is adding the handrails but that still isn't that hard, just takes some concentration and patients:thumb: :thumb:
  9. alexander

alexander Member

yeah. so, F units are pretty much ok?
  10. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Yes. F units ran from 1939-1974ish IMO the F unit is a perfect starter locomotive, if only because they pull well (Athearn ones espically!) looks good, and require no addition of handrails! :thumb:

I'm 17, just like Trucklover, and own way too many trains, 36 locomotives and who the hell knows how many cars! :D

To see my layout, which was a good teaching tool and started layout for me, go here!:

and here!
  11. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I'll forgive you younguns this faux paux once...NOBODY owns too many trains in this hobby. We're simply still in the process of aquiring the necessary real estate needs of our empires.:D
  12. Midnight

Midnight Member

Okay, here's a form I made up off the top of my head just now.
    Era: Steam-Diesel Transition
    Layout: In one corner of the garage, I'll have a mountain range going up the walls with tracks and tunnels on them. Then, coming down you'll enter a large city. It will be mostly cars and stuff, not trains. I'll have boats in the harbor and an airport.
  13. alexander

alexander Member

sounds cool. you might like to add some operation, like a Coal Mine in the mountain, going to a Coal Ship in the harbor, and, some other general stuff
  14. Midnight

Midnight Member

Does anyone know if it's possible to have cars running on indentions in the road or something?
  15. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Welcome aboard!!
    Steamers are (generally) two units (that count as one engine...go figure...) a tender that carries water and oil or coal (in back of the locomotive) depending on what the locomotive (which sits in the front) likes to eat... The fuel turns the water into steam which forces itself into a cylinder with pistons in it...and through a very complex set of levers, cranks and whatchamacallits, makes the wheels turn...and off it goes!!! Making a lot of noise and smoke in the process...Gorgeous..!!
  16. Midnight

Midnight Member

That's not what I meant, sorry for not being clear. I meant like real driving cars. As in vroom, vroom!