Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by david68wells, Apr 3, 2005.

1. david68wells

david68wells New Member

I'm starting my first layout in N scale. It will only be 1'x8' due to small space. It will be point to point with varying elevation. I will most likely use foam to build up elevation (unless there is better way). My question is what type of track to use. I've been contomplating using either Bachmann e-z track or Kato unitrack. Is this a good ro bad idea?
  2. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

:wave: Hi David!! :wave:

Click on the Gauge "Search" tab and type in unitrack.

You will get quite a few results with a lot of pro/con info about
    Kato Unitrack and the alternatives. I don't have N-scale, but
    overall the Unitrack sounds like a good way to start out :) :)
  3. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Hi David and welcome to the Gauge!! You'll find we're a friendly bunch, always willing to answer questions and offer whatever support we can. Glad to have you here! :wave:

4. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge David.

I started an N Scale layout last year, I used the foam as my benchwork. I purchased mine in 2'x8', 2" thick slabs. It is easy to cut it with a large Kitchen knife. Foam is great for making inclines. When doing the inclines, mark the grades on the side of the foam and cut it through. Then place the smooth side up.

I have some Bachmann EZ-track, but did not like the sound that resulted. I switched to Atlas Flextrack on cork, it was not as noisy as the EZ-track. Plus using the Flextrack, gave me a lot more freedom when designing the layout, I was not restricted to the size and curvature of the sectional track.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your layout.
  5. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Welcome to the Gauge David. :wave: You are given good advice on the use of flex-track. You can do more with it, sounds and looks better and is a lot cheaper in the long run.
  6. Bikerdad

Bikerdad Member

Between the Kato Unitrack and Bachmann E-Z Track, there's no competition. The Kato is far, far superior. You'll have a much better selection of track available.
  7. CBCNSfan

CBCNSfan Member

Hi David, and welcome to the Gauge, I'm a new comer myself and feel right at home. Sorry I can't help with your choice of track because I'm in HO and not familiar with those brands of track.
  8. Muddy Creek

Muddy Creek Member

Welcome David.

I never used EZ track or Unitrack so can't comment about the merits of either. I've had good luck though with even cheap brands of Flexitrack on cork roadbed. I haven't had the same luck with switches though, and ended up replacing the old Atlas switches with the more expensive Peco brand. No regrets there.

With such a small layout as a starter, you should try to not cut any corners when it comes to track quality, especially with the turnouts.

Have fun!

9. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Welcome to the Gauge David. These Kato unitrak and Bachmann e-z trak always looked inviting when I see them at the local hobby store but they are limited in radius and I don't like the look they bring to a layout. The ballasting and all are ok but! My choice is flex track on a cork base. The real benefit of flex track is you can have different radius in even one section of flex track. Where this is very handy is going from straight to curve where you can lead into the curve just like the prototypes do. Trains run better as the don't jerk into a curve like they do in sectional track.
  10. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

:wave: Welcome To The-Gauge David :wave:
  11. ausien

ausien Active Member

Wellcome to the gauge from me to, David, I have not used either the track types you mentioned, I use peko flexi track, code 80, and have not had any probles with it,( only with my track laying )and peco pionts/switches.. so cant advise you on the track question...have a good one..steve