Beginner needs help

Parker44

Feb 24, 2007
Wow,

Some real nice models! I am just getting into HO scale, could anyone recommend a book for a newbie. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Parker44

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
Parker44 said:
Wow,

Some real nice models! I am just getting into HO scale, could anyone recommend a book for a newbie. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Parker44

Woodland scenics do a range of great books on how to do scenery properly. Regardless of scale it's a good investment.

Although I don't know any titles, I'd say you'll want a book on weathering. Some really great effects can be produced with a minimum of skill if you just know the techniques.

Hi Parker, and Welcome to The-Gauge!:wave:

Atlas have several inexpensive books on layouts and wiring which
would give you a good start on reading up. You can find them at
most hobby shops, I think!

or at http://www.trainworld.com:

9 Beginner's Guide to HO Model Railroading 3.99
11 HO Layouts for Every Space 4.50
12 The Complete Atlas Wiring Book* 4.50

13 Seven Step-By-Step HO Railroads 4.50
14 HO King-Size Plan Book 7.95

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Before you get a book, take a look around here...! ;) There's a search tool (or you can use google) to search for just about anything you'd like to know about - chances are, someone's covered it at some point. :)

Tell us a bit more about what you have in mind, or at least what got you interested, and some more specific recommendations will undoubtedly surface. :D

Welcome to The Gauge!

Andrew

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
Hi Parker44
Welcome to model trains and the guage!

Try these books from Kalmbach:
Basic Model Railroad Benchwork
Realistic Model Railroad Design
Small, smart and Practicle track plans

Jeffs_Railroad

Dec 18, 2006
Connecticut
announce1 hi parker44 - welcome to The Guage! :wave:
Atlas and woodland scenics have good beginner books (will have titles tomorrow). I am also new. Keep an eye out for train shows with seminars. I went to the Springfield, MA train show that had excellent seminars from doing scenary to building models and back drops.

More importantly, the people on this site, "The Guage", are the greatest :thumb: with a wealth of experience and knowledge. They are always ready to lend a comment and helping hand.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Hi Parker44,

Welcome to a great site full of some great people. It's a good resource for anyone... just browse around and you'll see lots of good stuff.

A good place to start online is the NMRA (National Model Railroad Association). They have a fair chunk of stuff devoted to beginners.

Model Railroader magazine's website also has a section called The ABC's of Model Railroading that has some useful stuff.

Kalmbach has some good intro books too. Basic Model Railroading, HO Scale Model Railroading, and All Aboard: The practical guide to HO model railroading.