beginner:how to connect wires

jpoc220

Jan 1, 2005
I'm fairly new at the model railroad craze, although I've been interested in it my entire life. My initial Lionel set came with open 3-rail track with a clip-on for wiring. Pretty easy. I lately began constructing a 4x16 layout and have run into a snag. I purchased MTH track with the track bed already attached, and I can't figure how to wire my Lionel 80 watt transformer to the track. I was going to call the shop where I bought the track but thought since I'm new to The Gauge I'd throw the question out here. Thanks for your help.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I don't have MTH track, but my wife's set has the Lionel Fastrack. On this, each section has a set of metal connectors (male) going down from the rail underneath the raodbed. The connections are made with female connectors. Lionel sells a terminal section with the wires attached, but any section can be hooked up this way.
Hope MTH has something similar.
As far as I can see, none of these fancy new tracks are compatible with the others.

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
I'd try a websearch on MTH / Mike's Train House, pretty sure they have a website which would have the info on their products.

RioGrande

Jun 10, 2004
In HO, you can buy rail joiners with wires soldered to them - then you can simply attach them to your track in the usual way and run the wires to your power pack. And if you aren't afraid of a soldering iron, you can simply solder wire to the bottom of rail joiners and viola!