Beginner at N Scale Modeling...

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by surfer777, Sep 2, 2005.

1. surfer777

surfer777 New Member

I just made my own layout, but I am terrible at hammering nails in. They always bend! I don't know how to fix this, except keep nailing until I get a straight one. Also, could you give me some general beginners tips? I'm new to model railroading, and to this forum, so thanks!
  2. ausien

ausien Active Member

Welcome to the Gauge surfer777, dont know much about you, but just keep trying to get them nails straight, are you chocking the hammer? or are you just hitting the nail at an angle, and not getting a sweet contact, the only advice I can give you, is, keep trying, and take your time..have a good one...steve
  3. surfer777

surfer777 New Member

thanks! i'll work on the nails.
  4. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

The cure is screws my friend! :)
  5. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

I agree with Ralph. I used screws building my layout bench
  6. surfer777

surfer777 New Member

what size screws?
  7. Ebournerails

Ebournerails New Member

i use #6 screws 1 1/4 to 11/2 screws on my layout and along with a good wood glue it has been strong enough, even my ntrak table is built with 1 1/4 crywall screws and have had no problems
  8. Ebournerails

Ebournerails New Member

i meant dry wall screws
  9. tillsbury

tillsbury Member

Glue and screw is the way... and don't forget to pre-drill the holes. Yes you can get away without doing it, but you'll always get a better result if you drill first...
  10. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

That is something I forgot about. Always drill a pilot hole for the screws to avoid splitting.