Before and After - a rare quickie project

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
I promised myself that I would get a project done from start to finish... something, anything... in 24 hours or less.

I almost made that.

This caboose, an Atlas NE-6 for the Monogahela, arrived at the Wilmington and New York Railroad on Saturday via U.S. Postal Service (well, you know what I mean)

wny2006.07a.jpg

A bit more than 24 hours later, it emerged as the latest addition to the roster.

wny2006.07b.jpg

I did cheat a little bit and assign this to the 1980's roster of the Wilmington, which consists of stuff that I like that would not fit in 1963. (The NE-6 certainly existed then but the Wilmington couldn't afford one then and was largely making do with wood cabeese, Micro-Trains and MDC models.)

The herald-- which should look awfully familiar to New York, Ontario and Western fans-- is the W&NY's, but the caboose has been assigned to the Whiteface Mountain Terminal Railway, which was only a "paper subsidiary" by 1976.

There are other things that have been in the paint shop for many months, but this one was "expedited"... more to come.

Technical details: Stock Atlas caboose, Micro-Scale decals (O&W Diesels and Cabooses). Monongahela herald removed with Easy Lift Off-- no sweat at all, the lettering comes right off with a few seconds and a little rubbing with a cotton swab (Q-Tip). Extra yellow details done with Accu-Paint. Trucks and couplers kept as is, at least for now.