Beeg Boy...

doctorwayne

Here's a photo of a loco that I built just recently for my good friend cn nutbar:
And_yet_again_even_more_builder_photos_017.jpg

You can see lots more photos of the construction process here: [url=http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159178]Building Beeg Boy[/url]

Wayne

logicman

Greybeard
Wayne,

Thank you for posting all those fine photos and howtos.

That tender build could be adapted for almost any loco,
and I intend to shamelessly adopt some of your ideas for my
Chapelon Nord design.

Great stuff!:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

:wave:

UP SD40-2

AWESOME SHOTS, of a SLAP FANTASTIC engine nutbar:thumb: . nutbar, please forgive me, but i didn't catch who made that loco in real life:eek:ops: , Baldwin?, Lima?, who?:confused:

:deano: -Deano

doctorwayne

Dean, ALCO's Brooks Works built ten of these locos for the Boston & Albany, numbers 1100-1109. On the CNR, they became numbers 4200-4209, and the surviving ones were renumbered, near the end of steam, into the 4100-series, to avoid numbering conflicts with newly-arriving diesels. The 4193 was formerly CNR 4207, and B&A 1107 before that.

Wayne

UP SD40-2

THANKS for the info Wayne:thumb: , no wonder i like that engine so much, its built by my favorite steam engine company(Alco):twisted::mrgreen: .

:deano: -Deano

cn nutbar

hello everyone---thanks for all your feedback---even without the georgeous scenery from Doctor Wayne's EG&E,I have to say 4193 still looks good

4usra004.jpg

4usra003.jpg

Art Decko

Wow! Magnificent weathering/detailing/customizing - almost upstaged by the stunningly realistic layout! Bravo!!!

WReid

cn nutbar that is a nice trio of CN big muscle.:thumb: After all the nice pictures and reading the tread by doctorwayne on #4193's build up it has sure got me spured on.
I was working on my Athearn Genesis 2-8-2 CN conversion but got side tracked by a new project that has become bigger than I had planned on. A few weeks ago I picked up a couple of Van Hobbies CN N-5-d Consols ( 2-8-0 ) off ebay. The first one was in not too bad of shape and only needs some small repairs to the locomotive its self as well as a new gearbox and can motor. The second one was in better running shape as the gearbox preforms good ( also will be replaced with a NWSL gearbox ) but the locomotive had had an Elesco feedwater heater added which means a lot more repairs for it. Both tenders had had the oil bunkers removed and replaced with coal bunkers meant for a brass CPR D-10 4-6-0. One oil bunker was still usable but the other is junk ( main tender body is fine ). Not sure what I am going to do there just yet.
I was starting to feel like I had maybe gotten myself into too big a project. But as stated above after reading doctorwayne's thread on the #4193 build I am looking forward to finishing one of the N-5-d's and seeing it run again.
I also noticed in the picture you just posted there is a N-5-d in the background. It seems to me it has a tender form a S2 behind it and not the stock tender that came with it from Van Hobbies. Has the tender been replaced? I would also be interested in hearing how it runs and if it has had a gearbox or can motor upgrade.

Wayne Reid
Ontario,Canada

cn nutbar

hi Wayne---good to hear from you again---I'm sure Doctor Wayne will be pleased that his work has inspired you to finish your projects.N-5-D #2756 has all it's original parts including open frame motor and gearbox---although not as smooth as the newer locomotives or those with upgrades such as can motors,I'm happy with it's performance.The tender is also an original that came with this locomotive.I believe when the N-5-D's were constructed ,they had vanderbilt tenders but many were traded with the S-2 mikado tenders which you see on the 2756---personally I'm glad the CN made the switch as this locomotive looks too small for a vanderbuilt tender---anyway,thanks for responding and hope to see some of your locomotives soon---nutbar

cn nutbar

Hello Everyone---Hey Doc---thought you might like to see an old friend---Since returning to it's home terminal,Beeg Boy has made itself right at home---afterall,when you're the biggest kid on the block,who's going to hassle you---Nutbar

11a2002.jpg

steamhead

Beeeeeg boy indeed....I don't know how I missed this thread...or failed to reply if I did see it before..!!! That's a gorgeous steamer...!!! Right up there with the best of the good Dr.'s work....
And that turntable & roundhouse are A++++..!!!

P.D. I tried the "Building Beeg Boy" link and it takes me to the Zealot main page....Is the link broken..??

doctorwayne

Sorry about that - the link was broken, as our site is still "under construction". :rolleyes::p I've fixed it, though, so it should work for you now.

Wayne

steamhead

Wayne...Thanks for fixing the link...:thumb:
Once I went there, I recalled that I HAD seen the loco...just in that other thread. I've "bookmarked" it for future reference....:mrgreen: