Beech AT-10 Wichita?

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by sparrowhawk, Jul 12, 2006.

1. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

Anybdy knowing a good source for scale plans of this advanced US trainer off WW II? Sources are very rare and it would make a beautiful subject for a first own project. I feel it to be something like the "Sports Car" version of the good old Twin Beech.
    I know one to be preserved in an air museum in the USA and there are some pics around but no drawings. :(
    Greetings, Martin
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I think I have book at home that has 3-vue drawings. If no one else has any and I do, I'll email you a scan.

3. ECJohnson

ECJohnson New Member

I have one low quality scan from a Janes book.

Attached Files:

4. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

Thank you! You guys are really a helpful bunch.

@ Bowdenja: If you could send me the drawing and it is not the same as ECJohnson has shown here, I´d be very thankful! I will send you a PM with my email-adress right now.
    @ ECJohnson: This is the 1st drawing I ever saw of this unsung hero. Looks like it is from a rather old issue of Jane´s, probably out of print, so copyright is no problem over here in Germany. Thanks for taking the time to scan the drawing!

Funny enough: The Cessna UC-10 "Bamboo Bomber" fulfilled about the same role and has a firm community of followers, whilst the AT-10 is hardly remembered. Also, this aircraft was in a way a forerunner of the Bonanza, as it had the same fuselage section (round top, angular bottom) and was flight tested with a vee-tail once. If only I could find the picture right now...

Greetings, Martin
  5. Artie Bob

Artie Bob Member

Possibly I am one of the few on this board who had some contact with a civil operations A-10. It has been almost 60 years ago, so please forgive me if I am not 100% accurate. IMHO, the lack of interest in the At-10 was two fold, first and most important, I do not believe the AT-10 was type certified by the CAA, this meant it only be flown with an NX registration and could not be used for commercial passenger carrying, while the Cessna T-50 had been certified first and later was drafted into military service. Second the UC-78s which were the maor production version of the Cessna were equipped as transports and required almost no conversion work to be used in a civil role. IIRC, there were quite a few more Cessnas than At-10s, 4500 versus about 2300. The last item was the type of construction, primaily fabric covered steel tubing and wood wing versus plywood covering. Plywood covered aircraft in general were not very popular, it apparently was easier to maintain and repair the fabric covered aircraft (all metal aircraft being the most desirable)

My connection was that I made freinds with a student minister who supported himself by flying baby chick delivery. In the hangar where I spent most of my time in preteen years, a hatchery had a fleet of at least 4 and perhaps five twins, four Cessnas and an AT-10. Since the passengers were chickens, the NX registration was OK. Jerry liked flying the At-10 best (I used to think it was the sliding canopy) and because it had Lycomings rather than the Jacobs radials on the Cessna, the sound was quite recognizeable. Even when I wasn't at the airport, I could hear and recognize the sound of Jerry flying off in the AT-10 with 10,000 baby chicks around 7AM while doing my morning chores of feeding our chickens, rabbits, ducks, etc. Unfortunately, Jerry ran into unexpected bad weather one morning and he, 10,000 chicks met their end near Cairo, Illinois.
    In the following fifty-some years never again saw an operational AT-10.

Best regards,

Artie Bob
  6. OldSalt

OldSalt Member ( has an excellent drawing (3 sheets with sections) of the Beech D18S. I'm not familiar enough with Beech to know how much commonality there is but it looks to be quite similar other than the tail assembly. The drawings are part of the Paul Matt Collection #1, available as a book or a CD. I hope this is of some help.
  7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

sparrowhawk............ I am unable to locate any other drawings other than already listed. I'll keep looking. Sorry.

8. shrike

shrike Guest

Attached Files:

9. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

@ oldsalts: Thanks for the link, Ron. They really got some fine stuff over there. Will have a closer look tonight. I got some fine drawings by Bjoern Karlstroem published by Historical Aviation Album which should be good for now.
    @ Bowdenja: Take your time, John. The drawing you showed here answers quite some questions like shape of the elevator, fuselage cross section etc.. So it will be fine for now.
    @ shrike. That´s a fine pic! Will make an unusual, yet highly appealing subject.

Greetings, Martin
  10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

sparrowhawk.......... I'll keep looking. Thanks for bringing this bird to everyones attention. It really was a unique plane and really deserves to be modeled, if not only because it seems to have been forgotten.

In my opinion, trainers, transports and utility aircraft have for the most part not been represented very well. I know.........I know, the more exciting and popular the plane the more models of the subject. But without these important aircraft nobody could fly the mustangs, thunderbolts and B-17s.

I know the C-47, AT-6, and Birddogs have been done, but I would like to see a C-46, AT-10(yea!) AT-18 an others modeled. I've been playing with trying to make a C-54, maybe one day.

11. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

Bowdenja: Take your time. There is no reason to hurry things up.
    I agree on those trainers being very rarely modeled, the only exception being the Fiddlers Green line. While those may be charming in their very own, intriguing way, they can´t hold a candle to any advanced cardboard model. Why is there no decent Stearman, Ryan AT /ST or a good new AT-6 in 1:33? I know Robert J. Kaelin has issued a Boeing Stearman in 1:24 some years ago which still hibernates in my collection of unbuilt kits. Even the ubiquitous Tiger Moth is still not available, as opposed to the Miles Magister which fortunately is quite a charming little model. Also there is a Buecker Jungmeister in 1:24 by Schreiber.
    I brought up the C-46 on the german and found lots of people who wholeheartedly agreed. Same thing applies to the Boeing 307 Stratoliner and it´s military guise the C-75.

Greetings, Martin