be careful!

N

nachoman

I just cut myself with an xacto blade that I thought was kinda dull. A nasty cut on my left thumb that is gonna curtail modeling efforts for a few days. Superglue works to stop the bleeding, BTW :D

so, my advice - take things slow, think of potential ways you can get hurt, and be careful!!

kevin

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
I know what you are talking about. Did the same thing myself awhile back, nasty cut on the thumb, made me sick to my stomach. Put an "electrician's band-aid" on it and it healed pretty quickly though.

Hope yours heals in good time.

Dakota train

Mar 30, 2006
Wilton, North Dakota
Just never know what will happen. A fellow member of the railroad club cut his hand when he tried to open a jar of paint. It shattered in his hand and he received six stitches. Ouch!

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
When I worked building wind tunnel models at Boeing, we used surgical scapels. Took the skin off of the end of one finger when I got it it over the straight edge that I was using.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
The most dangerous knife is a dull one because it takes more energy to force it through the material. I learned to buy knife blades in the handy 100 count family pack. At the first indication a blade is getting dull, out it goes. That really goes for any cutting tool, unless I can sharpen it.

Sharp=safe

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
nachoman said:
I just cut myself with an xacto blade that I thought was kinda dull. kevin

Actually, one of my "ten-best modelling accidents" happened with a brand-new blade. I was sitting at my desk/workbench when the X-Acto knife rolled off the edge. Luckily, I wasn't bellied right up to the edge, so my legs were only partially in the knee-hole, or it might have ended one of my careers! ;) :D :D Not so luckily, my reflexes were quicker than my brain, and I quickly slammed my thighs together, in order to catch the falling knife, which just happened to be pointing right-to-left, driving a fresh #11 blade into my leg, right up to the hilt. :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:
Didn't bleed too badly, but the cut wrecked a good pair of jeans.:cry:

Wayne (lookin' sharp!:thumb: )

SeanNEC

Nov 27, 2006
cutting plastic models w/ dull exacto knife = blade through thumb it went in the left side of my right thumb and poked out on the right side after bouncing off the bone. that was a quite fun exprience

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
I about put a quarter inch drill bit through my left hand tonight. Don't tell my wife.

Alls well that ends well, I suppose.

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
LOL, I've had my fair share of cuts due to modeling through the years, nothing so bad as this Oct when I took a large chunk of meat out of my thumb on a table saw. Then about a week later when I thought I could work again I whacked it with a hammer...that smarts!

Rick

N

nachoman

thanks, guys.

you make me feel better about being a clumsy doofus!

kevin

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
My Xacto injury experiences are pretty limited. I think the best I've done with one of their blades is shave an inch long and paper thin slice of skin off the side of my left thumb while holding a straight edge to some foam-core that I was cutting up. It was so sharp and so fast that I didn't even realize it until I finished cutting everything. Went to wash my hands and the soap and warm water stung on my simple wound.

Lately my biggest safety foul ups have been in the garage, wielding a circular saw. Hearing protection and eye protection are no longer suggestions - they are REQUIREMENTS. I wear corrective lenses, which I used to think was enough to protect my eyes. WRONG! I now wear a face shield or goggles when I use saws. Chunks of wood and sawdust in the eye is just really painful and easily avoided. And I wear ear plugs because I like my hearing. And if I "ignore" my wife I can always claim it was because I accidentally left my earplugs in ;)

Be safe! Model railroaders are hard to come by. We've got to protect the flock.

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
And I wear ear plugs because I like my hearing. And if I "ignore" my wife I can always claim it was because I accidentally left my earplugs in ;)

After being on tanks for 20 years I have "tankers ears". Oh I can still hear ok, some loss but not much, till the wife of 33 years starts in.....then it's what? Talk louder...LOLannounce1

Rick

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I'm happy to say I haven't cut myself with an exacto blade yet (knockling on wood) but I still have a scar from a soldering iron I had dangling from my benchwork...which I then crawled under!
Ralph

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
Wayne...I thought I was the only one to grab an exacto like a woman would, except mine nicked an artery, resulting in a 911 call by my wife. By the time they arrived it had stopped bleeding...but there sure was a lot of blood! The funny thing was, when she went on 911 she said "My husband has stabbed himself"! Of course, the first people to arrive were the cops. Much explaining to do on my part. Couldn't begin to count the #11 scars on my hands in over 60 years of modelling.

MadModeler

May 20, 2006
nachoman said:
thanks, guys.

you make me feel better about being a clumsy doofus!

kevin
That's okay. I'm pretty clumsy myself. My hands get the brunt of my clumsiness.:rolleyes:

Ralph said:
I'm happy to say I haven't cut myself with an exacto blade yet (knockling on wood) but I still have a scar from a soldering iron I had dangling from my benchwork...which I then crawled under!
Ralph

Ouch! I was working on a high school electronics assignment 20+ yrs ago and I had my soldering iron on the desk (no stand at the time). My Dad looked over, suggested I get a stand and I said "Naw. I'm okay." Anyway, I knocked the soldering iron off my desk and grabbed for it without thinking. The sizzle and stink made it clear which end I grabbed!
The next day, my Dad gave me a soldering iron stand he made from sheet metal. I still have and use it today. (Thanks Dad!)

As for cuts? Yup. Many times with blades and on one occasion, plexiglass.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I lost count of the times I have cut,burn,bump,stab and got paint on my hands and fingers over the years..I suppose I have bleed at least 2 quarts of blood over the years from cuts.

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
ouch

Jeeesh....no stories about the soldering irons with the Xacto blade tips ???sign1
Thank goodness, it would prolly quarterize the boo boo too - lol So then would you treat the burn, or the cut???