Baumgartner Cutlery Co

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Robin,
They say," the camera never lies ". You, sir, have found a way to make it lie!:D :D :D
Cereal box cardboard!? You have been eating your "wheaties".
:D :D :D
This one is definitely a cut above the rest!;) ;)

That is one beautiful piece of work!
Pete

P

philip

Originally posted by Matthyro
philip
It is mostly cereal box cardboard, some corrugated cardboard, paper and a few toothpicks.
The windows are drywall joint mesh tape backed with the dull side of plastic cut from coffee can lids.
Matt:
Thats a great tip using drywall mesh tape for window grids. What can a person use for grids in HO Scale???

philip:)

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
Robin...do you just glue the edges of the 'cerealboard' (oh, I have coined a new term?..lol) together at the corners or do you use something inside the corner like a small piece of square wood to glue the 'cerealboard' to?

I know you're working in N gauge so maybe this isn't a concern, but do you do anything to stiffen larger pieces so they won't warp?

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Robin my freind, Thats excellent workmanship, and your getting just toooooooooo good at this, from now on, YOU can make all my stuff in HO.:D

Shamus

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Ima, for smaller structures, I use a base of 1/8th in corrugated cardboard. The walls of cerealboard (neat name Ima) are glued along the edges. In a larger multi floor structure, I reinforce the wall joints with a strip of corrugated cardboard or sometimes if I use PC generated windows then I use corrugated board to create the shape then glue the cerealboard walls to them.
You can se how I do this in the NARA website tutorials.
http://boylerwerx.0catch.com/thehowtopagepart4.htm

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Shamus, thanks for the vote of confidence but the workmanship you do my friend, is so good that the rest of us just dream of coming close to the excellent detail and interest you build into all your structures. You are indeed tha master craftman.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Baumgartner's thanks (finally!)

The Baumgartner family had their roots in Berne, Switzerland. They say, that the Bernese are S-L-O-W - and here you have the proof for it! That's why you had to wait for more than a week to get an echo from the distant relative of the Canadian Baumgartners. :eek:

Robin, my eyes almost popped out when I saw the title of this thread on the Gauge. For some unexplicable reason in the last week I failed to look into the "scratchin' & bashing'" section until today. And then I saw my name! :eek:

I feel deeply honored, my friend, that one of your masterpieces is carrying my name. And a masterpiece it is! As a kid I built many houses out of cardboard, matches and matchboxes - and you prove time after time that these easy-to-get materials still have their place in our hobby. I'll think of that when I shall build my Fantasium treating plant on my layout!

Of course you boosted my ego and simply made my day. :) :) :) Thanks again, Robin!

Ron