Baumgartner Cutlery Co

Discussion in 'Robin At His Best' started by Matthyro, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

The Baumgarner Cutlery Co factory was built in the new land around 1851. The demand for Swiss quality cultlery here made this an easy decision for the Baumgartner family. It has been a thriving concern ever since.
    This N gauge model is based on an HO kit by South River Modelworks. An ad appeared in MR magazine.
    It is named after NARA member #47
    scratchbuilt out of you know what
  2. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

Hi Robin,

One beautiful piece of work to say the very least. I'll bet your very proud of it as you should be. Ron :)
  3. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Very nice indeed Robin, you always amaze me! :cool: :cool: :cool:
  4. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Robin. How do you do it? And out of cardboard to. You are getting quite a collection of cardboard buildings and trestles and stuff by now.
    I gave up trying to scratch build stuff. It always seems to come out yuk
  5. jkristia

jkristia Member

I find it hard to believe that THAT one is made out of cardboard. Beautiful.

6. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

That's fantastic modeling Robin!
    I think it is so cool, that instead of shelling out hundreds of $$$$ on elaborate crafsman kits, you just look at a picture, & then make your own out of cereal boxes!
    :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
  7. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

You never cease to amaze me! That's a really great scene!
  8. WVRR

WVRR Member

You never cease to amaze with your craftsmanship and ingenuity. I still can't understand how you can take an ad and build a duplicate of the structure in it. Do you draw up plans first, or do you just guestimate how long this piece would be or how tall that piece would be and build it or do you find the plans of the structure and build it from them? I've always been curious.
  9. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Dang! Another one! You must have a layout full of these beauties. Nice work.

10. Matthyro

Thanks for all the support you all give me everyone.
    Ed, No I do not draw up plans or diagrams. I start drawing a floor plan on corugated cardboard and come up with a size in N scale but that will also fit in the space I want to use. Depending on the type of building I use 1inch or 3/4 inch height for each level then go from there. Whatever looks right.
    You can get the idea from this tutorial
  11. t. alexander

t. alexander Member

looks absolutely wonderful Robin I too am amazed at the card construction. I'm going to have to give this a try.

12. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Hey, that's neat Robin! Most model industries tend to be one building. The complex you've created makes the industry very believably busy and in need of rail service!
  13. philip

philip Guest

That is a GREAT model ! And a whole lot of windows! Is it totally cardstock?

14. Matthyro

It is mostly cereal box cardboard, some corrugated cardboard, paper and a few toothpicks.
    The windows are drywall joint mesh tape backed with the dull side of plastic cut from coffee can lids.
  15. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Another Great Job, As Usual...

Once again, outstanding. I'm always amazed at what you can do with the simplest of construction material.:)
  16. Matt Probst

Matt Probst Member

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Matt--Hershey, Pa.
  17. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

That's a beauty of a structure Robin! :eek: :eek:
    It is full of interesting lines AND it's unique as model.
    Geeeee, how on earth do you get them to look so good with your method of "do a ground plan and then whatever looks right??"
    Did the chimney stack cause you to lose any hair? :) :D :D
    I'm truly amazed. Well done sir.

18. aartwmich

aartwmich Member

To quote the PGA..These guys are good!
  19. jimmybeersa

jimmybeersa Member

Hi Robin ......... Another good one You do live in scrach builders heaven I like it
  20. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

You get all three thumbs up again!!! Fantastic! Uhhhhmmmmm, yer 1:1 house, what's it made of?:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D