Baumgartner Cutlery Co

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
The Baumgarner Cutlery Co factory was built in the new land around 1851. The demand for Swiss quality cultlery here made this an easy decision for the Baumgartner family. It has been a thriving concern ever since.
This N gauge model is based on an HO kit by South River Modelworks. An ad appeared in MR magazine.
It is named after NARA member #47
factory_004.jpg

scratchbuilt out of you know what

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Robin. How do you do it? And out of cardboard to. You are getting quite a collection of cardboard buildings and trestles and stuff by now.
I gave up trying to scratch build stuff. It always seems to come out yuk

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
That's fantastic modeling Robin!
I think it is so cool, that instead of shelling out hundreds of $$$$ on elaborate crafsman kits, you just look at a picture, & then make your own out of cereal boxes!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Robin,
You never cease to amaze with your craftsmanship and ingenuity. I still can't understand how you can take an ad and build a duplicate of the structure in it. Do you draw up plans first, or do you just guestimate how long this piece would be or how tall that piece would be and build it or do you find the plans of the structure and build it from them? I've always been curious.

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Thanks for all the support you all give me everyone.
Ed, No I do not draw up plans or diagrams. I start drawing a floor plan on corugated cardboard and come up with a size in N scale but that will also fit in the space I want to use. Depending on the type of building I use 1inch or 3/4 inch height for each level then go from there. Whatever looks right.
You can get the idea from this tutorial
http://boylerwerx.0catch.com/thehowtopagepart4.htm

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hey, that's neat Robin! Most model industries tend to be one building. The complex you've created makes the industry very believably busy and in need of rail service!
Ralph

P

philip

That is a GREAT model ! And a whole lot of windows! Is it totally cardstock?

philip:)

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
philip
It is mostly cereal box cardboard, some corrugated cardboard, paper and a few toothpicks.
The windows are drywall joint mesh tape backed with the dull side of plastic cut from coffee can lids.

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
That's a beauty of a structure Robin! :eek: :eek:
It is full of interesting lines AND it's unique as model.
Geeeee, how on earth do you get them to look so good with your method of "do a ground plan and then whatever looks right??"
Did the chimney stack cause you to lose any hair? :) :D :D
I'm truly amazed. Well done sir.

Errol