Battletech Rakshasa

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by shiftdel, Feb 29, 2008.

1. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

After modeling just copies of MW4 and MW3 models, I thought about to model something new.

I decided to start with a simple model, and I found this pic posted by a member of another forum:

The mech is ugly, I know, but it is simple enough to be made without much trouble. My goal is to make it a kind of MW3 style (which includes using some of the mw3 game textures).

Here it is the first progress pic:

Here it is almost complete:
  2. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

A more recent pic, with some more details:
  3. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Looks like it could be a nice model! Good job shiftdel! :)
  4. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Thanks Thunder, I think it looks better with some dress ;)

5. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Nice progress! :) Keep us posted buddy!
    And you're right, most models do. :p
  6. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

I'd wasted the last couple of days cleaning the mess that I did with the textures on this model, with only half done, I already had 32 different texture files on it (explaining: MW3 textures are made of several smaller texture files)!!!

I was able to drop to 21 textures, and I still want to drop even more, to 18 or 19, as I will have to include more textures for the legs and feet.

The final model will have no more than 22 textures (I hope), just a bit more than MW3 ones ;)

When I get satisfied with the texture mapping, I will join all textures files into just one, to make easier to create skins for the model. Of course it will give me extra work, as I will have to redo all texture map, but it will be faster because I will have a template to work with.

Anyway here it is an update with a view of the right side:

And another view of the left side:
  7. vlmarshall

vlmarshall New Member

Lookin' good, Shift!
  8. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Here it is my Rakshasa on its almost final shape.

It has 25 different textures taken from MW3 stock textures. The mechs which contributed to clothing it were Avatar, Awesome, Blackhawk, Bushwacker, Cauldron Born, Champion, Daishi, Orion, Owens, Puma, Ryoken, Sunder, Supernova, and Thor... almost all of them :D

I'm still not satisfied with the result, I'll probably change some bits here and there... Any idea or suggestion to improve it will be wellcome :)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  9. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Looks great! I'll try one of those some time ^.^

By the way how did you get the textures onto the model?
  10. Looks really good shiftdel. Perhaps some black/yellow hazard markings in a couple of spots, or maybe a squadron insignia would add a bit of color.
  11. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

They are MW3 textures, I chose the most generic ones from several mechs to compose the model textures.
  12. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Surely, I'm not satisfied with the overall result, any feedback will be welcome.