Battlestar TOS Daggit

McGee

Cory
Oct 5, 2013
Spokane
Has anyone ever designed a paper model of that Daggit from Battlestar?
That would be a fun build.
The textural differences between fur, metal and glass (eyes) area pretty interesting mix.
Even cooler would be to have the head removable and have the head of the chimp Evie who played the role, inside the neck of the costume.

Attachments

• muffit1.jpg
    muffit1.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 136
  • universalstudios2sea9.jpg
    universalstudios2sea9.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 176
  • daggit-14.jpg
    daggit-14.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 23

McGee

Cory
Oct 5, 2013
Spokane
Some pretty apparent differences between the first filming suit and the other one of the later made "on set hero" "don post" quality looking prop. The long hair looks a lot better as well as the other details like the metallic areas, on the original filming suit.

For anyone who is interested I'd like to post this really cool link about the design and concept of the daggit, from sketch to final screen and actors. Its really quite fun, with some really great behind the curtain shots.

http://www.galactica.tv/battlestar-galactica-1978-news/the-history-of-the-daggit-costume.html

McGee

Cory
Oct 5, 2013
Spokane
So THAT's who's in the armor...say.... he DOES look deadly. When he's not in costume, he enjoys a Jules Verne classic with a smoking pipe and taking up becoming a Railway Magnate or turn of the century Petroleum Tycoon. Oh those cylons. There WILL be blood sir... oh yes... there WILL be Blood.

P.S. A bit of cool trivia. Dennis Haysbert. was once a Cylon Centurion back in his early career.

McGee

Cory
Oct 5, 2013
Spokane
The Allstate Cylon

Here, he is... Aren't YOU glad you have Allstate? Because let's face it.. the Robots are here to stay...Oh wait....that's Old Glory Robot protection insurance.

Attachments

• dennis-haysbert.jpg
    dennis-haysbert.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 101

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Hi, McGee!

Great begining of a thread, many infos and excellent link!

I haven't seen a Muffit model yet and think that Muffit is on no-one's todo list at the moment (I've been having my sensors sweep the whole net for quite some time to find one - without success). I too would like to see an accurate and poseable Muffit, maybe in 1:6 scale (no Cubee-Craft though! ;-) ).

The most difficult task would be getting the dimensions right, especially the ones of the head. There were at least two dfferent costumes seen on screen, the first being the real Muffit from TOS BSG, the second being a similar one which was weirdly out-of-shape used in Galactica 1980. I prefer the original look (the REAL Muffit) from TOS BSG.

I have a HUGE BSG archive and am glad to share plenty of reference pics if anyone needs them.

As for Dennis, he had quite a career, hadn't he? Started as a Cylon, got promoted to helmsman onboard the Searcher, voiced the Imperious Leader and ended up as the President of the US. :mrgreen:

BTW, there was another fellow who played almost every Cylon lead: Rex Cutter.

McGee

Cory
Oct 5, 2013
Spokane
Hey RF. I did notice a big difference in the original longer haired Daggit and the follow up one for sure. The latter was cheaper looking. On the link to the Cylon page, there is several great pics of different un named stunt persons in the suits with helmets up or off. pretty cool.
I had no idea that Dennis filled those other roles. The voice of the Imperious leader. Really? Wow. That is cool.
I would love to see a well engineered model of the Daggit... and agreed, no cube craft versions.
I'm glad you enjoyed the Post. I hope it inspires a lot of designers to just start brainstorming new ideas for new kits..free or otherwise.

I do remember Rex Cutter.
I loved the 5 second moment in one of the A team episodes, where the team is on a Universal lot and Dirk Benedict walks by a Cylon, and stops and starts to say " Hey....don't I....uhh.....ah..never mind" or something similar.
Great Tie in.

McGee

Cory
Oct 5, 2013
Spokane
I wanted to post this pic from the cylon costume concept page link above. It's pretty interesting, and not very cool compared to the final but the mouth part clearly has an element that any Battle Star person anywhere would recognize with eyes closed.
I don't know if the filming miniature for the Raider was already in production and these were borrowed from it, or if the converse is true...did these find there way onto the Raider after this helmet idea was rejected?
I know some one knows. ??
All the same..pretty cool.

Attachments

• cylon-centurion-17.jpg
    cylon-centurion-17.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 13

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Dennis voiced the Imperious Leader in the Galactica 1980 episode "Space Croppers". The Cylon Helmet you showed was some kind of a test helmet to check out different concepts. It was one of the early models and never used on screen. It was important for the creative minds behind it (mainly Andrew Probert and John Dykstra) to show that the Cylon hardware was connected to each other, hence they incorporated the Cylon Raider engine covers on the helmet. I don't know if these pieces were borrowed from the Monogram plastic model kits but I wouldn't be too surprised if they took them. The model kits were available several months before the show premiered on TV which explains some of the mistakes found on them (e. g. the Viper kit had no cockpit interior because the pattern was based on a studio model which had no cockpit interior as well; surprisingly this model had more screentime than the version WITH cockpit interior). The final Cylons which were used in the show also showed the similarity to the other hardware, such as the grills on their voice covers and their chest plates and the Raider engine covers.

Yeah, The A-Team scene was terrific! I enjoyed it so much when I first saw it. In Germany the title sequence was edited by the first German television ARD in a way that the Cylon scene was featured in the title of EVERY episode they showed (including the "WOO-HOOOO" sound). So I had a great time watching the Cylon passing by every week.