Battlestar Galactica paper guage help

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by modelnutz7, May 8, 2007.

1. modelnutz7

modelnutz7 Member

Hi All,

I just wanted some advice please before I print out Gears model, I have tried to get 110gsm card stock which I believe is the reccommended guage to print on, local printers hesr In Aberdeen don't have it neither does Staples,or WH Smiths.

I have got a supply of 120, 160 and 250gsm Mondo card made in Austria.

Can I use 160gsm??

Would appreciate the advice Please.

ARMORMAN Guest

you could probably get 110 at Wally World
  3. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I don't think Wally World has invaded the UK yet..... I believe 110 lb cardstock works out to 99gsm card in the rest of the world. Someone "translated" it in the Rodger Young BETA Build thread
  4. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Oops!! No!!!
    160 might work, but I'd be careful of any parts with no formers. No hugging and sqeezing and calling Geaorge..... ;)

PS, I can not for the life of me figure out where to get this model...
  5. charliec

charliec Active Member

I think you meant to say "Mondi" - I use the same card. You can get 200 gsm
    in Mondi. I think you may be able to use the Mondi 160gsm - it's pretty dense card. I personally wouldn't use the Mondi gloss finish because it's designed for laser printers and doesn't print at all well on ink jets. The satin finish card works fine with ink jets.

6. modelnutz7

modelnutz7 Member

Battlestar Galactica paper guage

Thanks guys

I appreciate your help. Sorry I got the name wrong!

I have satin finish Mondi and I have found It prints great through our Inkjet Canon. I'll try and get hold of some 99gsm, but the printer who sold me my existing stock made a special one off concession, suggesting that the next time I would have to buy a ream, minimum A2 ish size.

7. charliec

charliec Active Member

Look for an office supply firm - they normally carry Mondi in A4. I think you want 200 gsm - 99 gsm is going to be only slightly heavier than copy paper (80 gsm).

8. Jackrum

Jackrum Member

Have you not got a Partners store in Aberdeen? thats where I get all my cardstock from.
  9. modelnutz7

modelnutz7 Member

Hi Jackrum,

No there is not a Partners store in Aberdeen. All there is is WH Smiths, I have their 150 gsm premium card which is superb for Inkjet. There Is no other major office supply store except Staples, which I visited the other day. true they stock Mondi in A4 packs but no 110gsm, there was nothing else there i could use and their stuff is really expensive.

There is a Wiggins Teape depot I might try.

10. Kaz

Kaz Member

Heres a fairly definitive convertion website for #lb and gsm conversions and a few more besides, but do be aware that some paper is far more dense than others and we ought to be calculating card by its thickness rather than the weight.

saying that I use a local independant supplier who sells me the 160 gsm card which suits my needs wonderfully, and at a rather attractive price too.
  11. Jackrum

Jackrum Member

If all else fails send us a pm.
  12. Dancooper

Dancooper Member

AAAAArgh I'm dying here....... where can I find the model......
  13. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

14. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I suppose I should have posted the link when I finally figured it out....