Battlestar Galactica models?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
Geeeezz... I say we just chop that bloody nose off and call it... battle damage!.
:yep:

thanks Steve.. looking forward to the pics!

btb. Say Happy Birthday to the missus for us! :cool:

ekuth ~ Its got to be that Avatar....

The Roger Younng .... yesss..its.. whaat.. i.. reeallly.. wanntt.. too.. doooo.....
:razz:

sjsquirrel

Feb 9, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
stevebondy.ca
My nose hurts

Well, my second attempt on the bridge module didn't turn out any better than the first - maybe worse.
Here's the first one
Bridge1.jpg

For the second round I added a former just behind the nose, then assembled it by assembling parts 4, 5, 8 and 9, then attaching this to the bottom. Here's the former
BSGNose1.jpg

and how it turned out.

bsgnose2-sm.jpg

It's not easy to assemble. Or maybe my model building skills aren't up to it yet. I'm convinced the "problem" lies in the fact that there is nothing holding the shape at the nose while the other pieces are attached.

Since DOC is doing such a great job on the rest of the model I have re-printed the bridge module and will try again. This time I'm going to put the new former right at the front edge, and make it exactly the same size as that nose flap. For the remainder I'm going back to Gearz' original build sequence.

More to come....

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
mmmuMM..MU!..O boy.. that's a Gooood lookin model Doc ! Excellent Job, (considering the bugs in the parts). She's come a long way from V1 ~ beta 1 ~ build 1..

Shoulder problem noted.. I'll have another look at it and see if I can make it even worse by fiddling with it. ~ The two parts sounds logical

24,000 and change ~ must be close to a record ?.. + 2300 for the build report thread.

Steve ~ keeping an eye on your alternate nose build ~ see comment a few posts above!!!!!!!! * Just off the top of the head, would continuing the longitudinal brace ..err.. part 3, all the way to the nose panel help any ?

Apart from the looming "duct disaster' and a 'dripping nose' we're almost home!

:-D

stagecoach

Aug 24, 2006
New Hampshire
johns-shipyard.tripod.com
finished model needs something else

I'ts really a great build Doc. Great designs Geartz.:-D
although it looks really great sitting on top of a 2X3 I really think it needs
something really classic as a fabulous stand to show it off.:idea:
otherwise it will look like what someone said an ant on skies. LOL
So when are you gonna start designing the ragtag fleet to go with it?:twisted:
John

doc_harvey

Mar 14, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
virb.com
top center ducting applied (see pics on the Gearz' Galactica Build thread)....I'm going to take a very short break on the build...I'd like to look at the Colonial Raptor from Jaybats for a day or two, but I promise I'll get back to the Galactica on Sunday! Maybe SJSquirrel will post more pics of his build and I can ask him how he's handling the duct work...all in all a GREAT build. Everything went together beautifully and the texturing looks fantastic. I'm thinking of reprinting some of the parts, cutting out sections and laminating them onto the hull for some added "umph"...anyone have any opinions?

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
Break well earned Doc ! ~ yep going to add plenty of little grebbly bits on mine to. .

Thanks John ~ yeeahhhhh a stand... can't we just hang it from the ceiling????...ok. see what I can come up with.
Any suggestions?.

:confused:

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
Damn.. Its just been pointed out to me, that my cabspace site is gone! Hopefully the guys will get it up and running again. *SIGH* ( Homeless again )

For those asking.. I still have one server location that's solid for the Galactica, and she'll have to be released by the end of the month ~ warts and all ~ I've corrected most of the bugs but I've run out of card time.

:-D

P

paulhbell

I have just joined this forum. After spending months looking for a galactica card model I can across this forum. Excellent build guys. I have made the new series galactica, which I found on www.starshipbuilder.com and i would like to have a go at building the old movie version that has been made on here, but i have looked around for the files and i can't find them. Could someone give me a idea where to look for them or can somebody email them to me. Thanks.

E

ekuth

Gearz has not released the files yet- it's still in the beta build test process.

Once all the bugs are worked out, he'll let us know... :grin:

P

paulhbell

Thanks ekuth and Gearz for the reply. I can't wait to have a go at building it. The model looks good.

dragolad

Aug 3, 2006
Gearz said:
Nothing like a new idea to send me off on a tangent! The idea of a large LB had me wondering how small a viper could be dev'd. So I played around with a simple viper mesh last night and ended up with this, the smaller version's a shade over 3/4 of an inch ~ ( for all you crazy base twelve guys)

vipersmall.jpg

Sorry for the crappy quality, my scanner's the only bit of equipment that hasn't folded yet, and even it's making some hideous noises of late. :cry:

Here's the bitmap, no BS... all the textured parts are in top left-hand corner! The engines just fit/wrap around a tooth pick. there's a box shape that sub's for a lot of the rear body, it fits into the nosecone section a mil or two, so if anyone's game enough to try and make it, I'd suggest starting with those two sections. There's also an extra .. 'Y' shaped part that was intended for/as a rear end cap, but it was too small for me to handle. The page is 2300 x 3200 so NO cheating by cropping the image. Of course... MEGA hero points to anyone that can make it even smaller !!!!

Teeny Tiny Viper ZIP

Sorry couldn't workout the scale..
hey gearz could you post a new link for the viper the old one doesnt seem to work. please and thank you. oh and i wouldnt mind helping in the beta build.

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
Yep.. sorry about that dragolad, the free server I was using along with my site has disappeared into cyberspace, so dead links are floating to the surface all over the place. For the time being you can grab the tiny Viper HERE

:)

MotherViper.jpg

sjsquirrel

Feb 9, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
stevebondy.ca
Nice nose!

Well, I finally got the nose done on my latest test build of the bridge module, and it looks pretty good. :grin:

BSGNose3.JPG

This time I assembled parts 1, 3 and 6 and then added an additional former at the nose. This was made by simply copying the outline of the nose flap. You can see in the inset that I also left off part 2 so there would be easier access to the inside while gluing the remaining parts in place. I think this helped a lot.

BSGBridge4.jpg

You might also notice in the inset that I added an additional former at the back. Don't do this. :( I had to cut it loose later to allow the back edges to move while I attached part 2.

@Gearz - on part 6, the two reinforcing tabs on the top aren't clearly explained anywhere. In a previous incarnation of the instructions (or somewhere) you had a note that they just fold over to strengthen the former but this note has disappeared.

After assembling parts 1, 3, and 6 with the new former I added parts 4, 5, 8 and 9 as directed in the assembly guide. When attaching the top piece (part 10) I started at the front and worked towards the back gluing the entire center line to part 3. Next I started gluing part 10 to parts 8 and 9, again working from the front to the back. This ensures that the effects of any alignment errors appear at the back of the module. I ended up with one small misalignment that will probably never be noticed. Once the first couple tabs were solidly glued I just folded the nose flap down over the extra former, glued one side in place (holding the side at the proper position while the glue set) then glued the other side.

Here's the back:

BSGBridge1.jpg

Now I just have to slap on parts 7, 11, 12, 13 and 14, and it's a wrap.

Based on what Doc's done in his build thread it looks like the center module is pretty clean, so I'm going to move on to the engine module next and see if I run into similar issues.

Stay tuned....

Status
Not open for further replies.